C143 - Threatened

Jace led me away from the living room to the kitchen. He could see the confusion building up on my face, and thereby decided to let me know who this Eugene guy was. "I'll have to explain this vaguely as we can't raise any possible suspicions. We used to travel a lot to America before we moved here as a way of getting to know this place better basically. On one of those visits, Alex met Eugene, and they became better and better friends with time. Alex presented himself as Alexander at the time, and that's why Eugene's addressing him as Alexander. As you know, Alex's training to become a leader became more intense with the years, and so their contact faded bit by bit. I don't know all the details, but I sure as hell can't remember Eugene ever mentioning anything regarding the Evanstons," Jace explained, a sigh escaping him right after. "Wait, so what you're telling me is that Dane is suddenly accompanied by Eugene, Alex's former best friend?" I questioned. "Pretty much, yes," Jace nodded. "Okay, that's kind of shady, in my opinion. Er, was he or is he human though?" I asked curiously. Jace shrugged his shoulders, leaving me with nothing but my own curiosity.

Back in the living room, Eugene and Alex were still talking. Alex was still a bit shocked by the fact that this Eugene guy had suddenly appeared, of course, but he was taking it surprisingly well actually.

"I've been living with the Evanston people for almost two years or so, and I have to say, the way they're portraying you is maliciously misrepresenting. Honestly, because their passion of bringing you down is so strong, I almost ended up believing what they were saying at some point. Repeatedly, I've heard people describe you as though you were the devil yourself, and I must admit, I could recognize some of the things they said about you. There's some coldness in you, Alexander, and I'm sure you know that yourself as well. However, the Alexander that they were describing over and over again was a fake persona created by Hayden initially. Hayden knows deep down that you're not some creature that has risen from the ashes of hell, but by letting people think you are, he succeeds in building up dangerous hate towards you. My point is, you should take all the help you can before Hayden figures out that he wants to strike again. We both know that if he strikes again, you won't survive, Alexander," Eugene told.

I could tell by the look on Alex's face that he was overwhelmed. He said nothing, he didn't even provide an answer to Eugene. He looked over at Rain and Vera, meeting two somewhat concerned looks. Alex then cast a quick glance at Jace who had a neutral looking facial expression. When he turned to look down at me, his face softened. The tension that had taken over him seemed to be released, and for some reason, he was concentrated again. "Present whatever you have, and I'll consider cooperating with you. Nevertheless, I must make it clear that I will not be manipulated into making decisions that go against my morals," Alex said decidedly.

Eugene hadn't paid much attention, so when he suddenly began looking my way a lot, I felt moderately uncomfortable. I was still uncertain of his motives, and truthfully, I didn't know the guy. He was a stranger to me still, and I struggle with trusting new people. Nonetheless, I wasn't unwilling to hear him out as he has a past with Alex.

When Alex went to speak with Jace, Eugene decided to approach me. "You must be Valerie Pennington, or so I'm guessing?" he said, raising an eyebrow. I nodded shyly, feeling stupid as I failed at answering him. After meeting Alex years ago I haven't seen it as necessary to build up my confidence around others, but I probably should've. I've done okay during my lifetime, but for some reason, I was struggling to even speak with Eugene. It had nothing to do with jealousy, rather curiosity and caution.

"I've heard a lot about you actually," he said, his gaze trying to meet mine. "From whom? Hayden?" I questioned hesitatingly. "Yes, naturally, but I've heard most from Nikkie. She envies your boldness by the way," he answered. I took a deep breath before meeting his gaze finally. "So you know Nikkie?" I asked, narrowing my eyebrows. "Well, I would hope such being so that we're in a relationship." "What?" I stuttered unintentionally. He frowned, a flicker of confusion crossing his face. "I see that shocked you, why?" he asked. "Is that why you're with the Evanstons?" I questioned directly. He cleared his throat, almost breaking the eye contact. "Oh, Valerie, it astounds me how good you are at reading people so fast. I abhor the Evanstons, and I'd much rather choose any Caizar over them as any person with a right mind should. Sadly though, Nikkie is stuck with the Evanstons, so yes, I'm with them. However, truthfully, I stand with Alexander, and I won't be the reason for his downfall if he ever is to face one. I can guarantee you that," he answered assertively