C105 - The blood of a weakening person

Nikkie was quick to move behind me. Her hands were desperately protecting her neck from any form of possible attack. She was panting with fear, shocked to see Alex - the loving guy - like this. "What's going on, Alex?" I asked frustratedly. "I read your messages when you weren't looking," he told me. "And? I was just meeting up with Nikkie to talk," I frowned. "Yeah, that was your intention for your meet up, but it sure as hell wasn't hers," he answered through gritted teeth, glaring at her. I turned to her in pure confusion, waiting for her to defend herself. She had a hunted look on her face, her lips were trembling just by looking at Alex.

I heard a loud sigh behind me, coming from Alex. "She didn't do this willingly. Her heart is beating faster, meaning she isn't faking it," he said. "I'm nothing like my sister, I swear," she clarified. "I know, you can't control your heartbeat. The autonomic system takes care of it, not you," Alex answered. "What are you talking about?" I asked confusedly. "Hayden forced her to lure you here by keeping you distracted, which means he'll be here anytime soon," Alex told me. "I'm so sorry," Nikkie sighed, her eyes downcast. "Can't you just lie to Hayden and tell him Alex came?" I suggested. "No, he'll recognize the smell of me. In addition, he knows I don't let people go like that, especially no one from his side," Alex explained. "What do we do then?" Nikkie asked hesitatingly. "Something that will piss him off," Alex said, his voice lowering. "What?" Nikkie stuttered, stepping back. "She could tell him she ran off?" I suggested. "She wouldn't make it," Alex shook his head. At some point, Nikkie must've understood what Alex meant by what he'd said, but I hadn't caught onto what was going on.

It was clear to say that Nikkie was hesitant to Alex's only option, but she agreed to go through with it. I, on the other hand, still had no clue what they were on about. However, I started questioning them both when Alex moved extremely close to her. They almost seemed like a couple, seeing how his hand support her head, and how acceptive she was to his touch all of a sudden. She was frightened but managed to keep still. I admired her abrupt braveness until I broke myself. I had never thought of this as our final option. My eyes widened to their fullest as I saw his teeth sink into Nikkie's very delicate neck. Her skin failed to keep them from passing through. Even with just the slightest touch, they would be able to damage the skin enough for blood to pass through. Alex's fangs were incredibly sharp and precise, and he did it intimidatingly discreet. He surely must have a lot of experience...

Leaving Nikkie on the ground unconscious without anyone there to help her was difficult, but we had to do it. Alex couldn't fight Hayden, Dane, Adeline and possible more vampires all alone. Additionally, we would both be risking our lives since I would be an easy target for them to kill. "Are you okay?" he asked. "Yeah, you?" I asked back. "Mm-hm," he answered, peeking through the branches. We were hiding in some strange bushes with random trees placed beside some of them.

As I was fascinatingly studying the weird place, Alex decided to push me to the ground all of a sudden. Seconds after, he was laying down beside me, placing his hand over my mouth. I heard the raging voice belonging to Hayden some hundred meters away from us. Alex moved his hand since I had realized by now that I had to be quiet. He carefully turned his body around to try and see Hayden and the others. "They can't have gone far, go search," Hayden commanded angrily. I tried to turn around as well, but Alex placed his hand on my stomach to prevent me from succeeding. It's not often that I spot him looking worried, but now he was looking extremely worried.

Weak wind caused the bushes to move, which made more sound. I didn't think I'd ever been this pleased to hear leaves brushing against each other. Alex touched his lip, transferring a drop of Nikkie's blood to his finger. "Can they smell blood?" I mouthed. He nodded absently but kept staring at the blood. "Then take it away," I whispered in panic. I could hear someone's footsteps getting louder, increasing the frequency of my pulse to a much higher level. Impulsively, I removed the blood with my tongue. The taste of blood made me feel sick and afraid that I wouldn't be able to avoid throwing up...