C116 - Vengeance

As soon as Alex left to do something, I started looking through Jace's journal for information about the group they'd been talking about. It was difficult finding a page on that group mainly because he had only mentioned them every now and then at random pages. However, I managed to find one paragraph that related to the group.

"Letting Xavier meet Rain's group is unacceptable. They're all strong vampires who would intimidate him to a point I'm not ready to discover. It's a long process and bringing him to my already skeptical girlfriend and her "friends'" doesn't sound like a good idea. Rain is already getting suspicious of my ability to withstand Xavier's alluring appearance and strong personality. He appears so weak and vulnerable, but that is only psychically. He may not be able to keep things from me for too long, but he sure tries his best - that's what thrills me. That's what attracts me. I fear if I let him meet her, she'll figure out my disgraced failure."

Knowing Rain was Jace's girlfriend, she must've been trusted by Alex as well. So she was probably at the top alongside Jace, and thereby the group must've been created. I'm guessing Alex and Jace led that group for a while before I took up Alex's time.

While I was looking for the paragraph on Rain's group, I found a paragraph on Zane as well, which caught my attention.

"Finding Xavier's biggest weakness took me weeks if not even months. He had kept quiet about this one particular person, securing his safety. However, Xavier let his guard down for a brief moment and let himself think I would let it slip. He told me about his younger brother, Zane. Apparently, Zane is the last of family he has left. I couldn't let that slip. I simply could not let Xavier get what he seemingly wanted - someone to care for him. I'm not supposed to care for him, and I won't. Therefore, Zane is no longer going to be living his normal everyday life. Rain's group will find him."

I put the book away, shocked to discover that Zane was Xavier's last living family. I lost the majority of my closest family when I was too young to truly understand what was going on. I grew up without a proper family, hence why I've found myself to be very attached to Alex. Xavier must've thought for a brief moment that Jace could be that supportive person to him. Unfortunately, in that moment, he was wrong. Zane was that person, and now he's gone.

I'd fallen asleep when dwelling on whether I should give the book back or not. After all, the last thing I needed right now was Jace's anger directed at me. However, I needed to know how and when Jace messed up. I wanted to know whether he managed to wait with the relationship till Xavier had become a vampire or not.

"You look like a sleepy mess," Alex said as he entered the room. "I fell asleep," I muttered. "You're that bored without me?" he raised his eyebrows. I wasn't aware that I had forgotten to answer him, but he was. "Valerie?" he said. "Sorry, I was thinking." "Aha," he nodded. I asked him where he'd been, but he was interrupted when he tried to answer. "They found her," Jace informed from the door. "Already?" Alex frowned. "Mm-hm," Jace confirmed.

Obviously, Alex hadn't filled me in on what was going on or who was coming here, and it didn't seem like he was planning on letting me know either. "Where are you going?" I asked, grabbing his arm. He looked down at my hand that was firmly holding onto him. "Downstairs," he answered. "To do what exactly?" I questioned. He cleared his throat, his face remaining the same incomprehensible self. "I can't avoid what I've been told to do. Vengeance isn't something to play around with." Vengeance? For Zane? For his sister? "Who has been taken, Alex?" I asked worriedly.