C58 - Trust issues

-Valerie's point of view-

Personally, I found the girl's reaction a bit too much. I mean, I understand that she was shocked and scared, but I'm not an evil vampire like them. Dane tried calming her down while I just stood there, hoping she wouldn't scream or draw Hayden's attention in any way.

"She had no clue that Alex was evil, okay? This isn't her fault, Adeline. Do you really want an innocent human to die just to kill one vampire?" Dane asked calmly. She was staggering over the furniture in the room, obviously, she was still in shock. "I asked to help you with the book stabling, I didn't try to kill you," I pointed out. She murmured something along the lines of not being willing to lie for Hayden and betray him. 

Dane continued his speech, but I stopped paying attention to it. I lowered my head and looked down at my phone. Alex had gone quiet, that's not like him in these types of situations. Either he sends me several texts, calls me repeatedly or sends Jace after me. This time, he'd just gone silent and left me alone?

"Dane, she sleeps with the devil! She can't be trusted," Adeline suddenly blurted out. "Excuse me?" I scoffed. She glared at me with her disgusted facial expression. "As I said, she didn't know his dirty secrets," Dane repeated himself. "Does she even know what will happen if she stays with him?" she snickered. I frowned at Dane, but he didn't seem like he wanted to answer. A message ticked in on my phone, so I lowered my sight automatically, moving the focus away from them. I'd expected a message from Alex, but to my surprise, it was one from Jace. Quite the short message that went something like this: "You'll regret your decision, idiot." Typical of Jace...