C129 - Risky plans

A feeling of pressure was slowly building up inside my head, causing a major headache. My tears had dried, but the awful feeling of missing Alex was still as strong. Somehow, Jace managed to calm my upbuilding fear of losing Alex, but I knew it would only be temporarily. That damn fear would return shortly.

My head was resting against a soft pillow, and my eyelids felt heavy as they were closing and opening. I knew I looked like a mess, but never before had I felt this unbothered by it. I simply felt conflicted as though my brain was incapable of taking on more information.

Jace called someone, his lips parting to speak to whoever he'd phoned. As his voice was soft and quite hushed, I couldn't hear what he was saying. A flicker of worry crossed his face, but it seemed to fade once he realized I had picked up on it. His hand gripped onto the phone firmly as though he was expressing some displeasure or anger through such a simple movement.

Half an hour passed without anything remotely interesting happening. The room was mostly silenced until Jace opened the door to let someone in. I quickly realised it was Rain Carradine, Jace's ex, who'd entered with a serious facial expression. "I'm sorry, Jace," she said, a small sigh escaping her mouth right after. He nodded once as his gaze lowered, moving away from her.

Rain's hair was clearly newly brushed and washed, meaning she'd been taking care of herself during these past days. By the look on her face, I could tell she definitely had some interest for Jace. Each time she even lightly came in contact with him psychically her face relaxed more, and as well as that, her seemingly longing eyes rarely left him. As it seemed, she was missing him or something along those lines.

My attention was caught the second Jace called my name. I felt an immediate rush of realness as though I had been dreaming for the last couple of hours. His head peaked out from the room I had been sleeping in, and his eyes landed directly on me. His eyebrow raised as if he wasn't expecting me to have slow reactions.

I entered the room, seeing Jace standing before a dark brown bag. "You can't walk around in a t-shirt forever. This is what you have for now," he said, turning around. "Whose clothes are those?" I asked sceptically. "They're no ones. It's just excess clothing from the castle," Rain said from behind. I jumped slightly, hoping she wouldn't notice, and she didn't, but Jace did. His tongue moved to the inside of his cheek, exhaling through his nostrils. "I'm fine," I clarified, my voice so soft it could barely be heard.

After Jace and Rain left me alone to change, I carefully unzipped the bag to find the clothing. Of course, there was only black clothing, of which most were turtlenecks of different sorts, and all the bottoms were leather tights. "Great," I swallowed oddly.

When I walked out, I instantly felt their glances at me. If I were them, I would see me as a simple female bearing the clothes of a strong woman, but looking nothing like her. That's what I am, and I'm not prepared to change into someone else or rather... something else. Jace approached me, walking behind me. I felt his fingers on each side of my head as he was bringing my hair upwards. He wrapped a hair tie around my hair, which resulted in a tight, high ponytail. "Makes it somewhat easier for you, and it keeps your hair clean for longer," Rain clarified. I nodded, clearing my throat as Jace moved in front of me again. "You'll be like us, and you won't fail. Stop thinking otherwise before you make the damage greater for your mentality."

Rain and Jace apparently had to discuss something, so they left me behind as they went to talk in the bedroom. I couldn't be more tired of secrets by now, so I intentionally eavesdropped their conversation by standing very close to the door. "You were suspiciously careful during each of your fights, why?" Jace asked sceptically. "I've always been careful," she answered. Her tone was different, she was lying, and I wasn't the only one noticing that. "How dare you lie to my face like that? I know you better than you think, Rain." "Exactly, Jace! You know me, and thereby you should know why I've distanced myself from you lately, and why I was careful in those damn fights," she snapped.

There was this sudden silence that struck their conversation as though Jace had to rethink everything. "Are you out of your goddamn mind?" Jace almost growled. "Let me explain," she said calmly. I couldn't see their movements, but obviously, Jace was furious about something. "This is your opportunity. Xylan will have no children. Your sister's child isn't fit for a leadership position, and the chances of Valerie having Alex's child are limited. You know how unfair things can be for us, but now you have a chance to raise a person so that we get the leader we need. You'll show everyone that you didn't entirely lose your spot, Jace." "I made it fully clear that my only goal was to help Alex to become the best leader he could be. You made this decision without me, and don't think for a second I don't see behind this impulsive decision of yours. You want to get back on top, Rain, but you won't. Our child won't be a leader regardless of Valerie and Alex's decisions. End of discussion."

As I suddenly heard Jace approaching the door, I quickly tip-toed back to the sofa in order not to be caught eavesdropping. Once he opened the door completely, I saw Rain grabbing his arm forcefully. Standing before him, she slightly smirked. "Rules have changed, Jayden. It's not your decision alone to make. Our son will make the decision for himself. Oh, and as you'll be doing all you can to keep Xylan from becoming our leader, I guess I'll have to raise him alone. I wonder what decision our son will make then once he's old enough," she said, almost whispering as she stepped away. Vaguely described, the anger expressed through Jace's eyes was intense and raised a terribly dangerous tension. "You should be more careful what you say and do, Carradine," he warned before pushing her further away.

After Rain left, Jace slammed his fist against the wall where she'd leaned against only some minutes ago. I didn't dare speak, but I knew I should've, especially after what he'd done for me. My body, however, dared speak for its own. My hand reached out, resting gently on his arm. He turned around immediately, his eyes meeting mine unintentionally. "Where's Xavier?" I asked directly. He closed his mouth, tensed his jaw, and still, I didn't remove my arm. "No one knows." "I see," I nodded, letting my hand fall from his arm. He was about to say something, but I spoke instead. "I might lose Alex, Jace. You might lose Alex. We both know we should go look for Xavier no matter the risks. He changed you in a way, and he helped me, remember that."