C2 - At daytime

Alex raged a bit, but he calmed down again eventually. "I'm sorry, Valerie," he sighed loudly, placing his head in his hands. "Don't be, I understand," I answered as I sat down next to him. "It's been hectic lately, but that doesn't mean it should affect you. I shouldn't have come back yet," he said, shaking his head. "I would rather have an emotional mess as my company than no one." He looked up at me with a blank facial expression, leaving me with questions about his current mood. I jumped in shock when he suddenly took my hand as he abruptly knew what he wanted to do. "Let's go out." "What? Now?" I asked a bit surprised at his sudden wish. "Yes, come on, let's go," he said, tugging my arm. "It's light outside, Alex. You hate that," I reminded him. "No, the clouds are covering the sun," he answered. "I thought you hated the light because of your eyesight?" I pointed out in confusion. "The sun ensures a lot of light, yes, but it's not as bad when the sun's gone or covered," he told me. "You're weird," I scoffed softly. "I know, and I also know that you love it."

Rain started pouring down when we were driving, giving Alex's car windows a free wash. "I actually enjoy the rain," Alex commented. "Really? I prefer sunny weather," I answered, watching the countless trees which we drove past. "Ah, I've never liked the sun," he told me. "Why not though? Is it because of your eyes solely?" I asked, turning my head to him. "That's just a small part of the reason. I just don't enjoy it the same way as with rain." I couldn't get myself to understand Alex, but then again, I'd never been able to do such, so it was nothing new. "Are you philosophizing?" he snickered. "Maybe," I paused, "or maybe not."

I couldn't help but overthink the fact that he was chewing gum all of a sudden; he never does that. "You okay, Alex?" I asked, discreetly glancing over at him. Alex's eyebrows slightly narrowed before he nodded as a response. "Do you suddenly like chewing gum?" I questioned. His jaw tensed, then he stopped moving his mouth for some time. "Yeah, I do, Valerie. I do now."

Alcohol was rushing through my body, but mostly through Alex's. For some reason, he never got drunk enough to lose control of himself. However, I always imagined he was slowly getting drunker, and so was I. We were sitting in a corner of some random place that I'd already forgotten the name of. His arm lay over my shoulder while my head rested on his shoulder. I focused on the surroundings briefly before his lips suddenly met my ear: "We need to stop, Valerie." I asked him what we had to stop, but he went quiet. I followed his eyes as they moved from person to person, place to place; he was studying the surroundings as well. "Stop what, Alex?" I repeated. Gradually, I became increasingly impatient and a bit worried. "Drinking," he muttered, tightening his grip on me. "You've never feared to get drunk before?" I pointed out. "Um, but it has always been dark outside whenever I've gotten drunk, now it is daytime. If I get drunk I most likely won't be able to remember my vulnerability to light," he answered, though it sounded like a lie. "It's just in and out of a car, Alex," I said, hoping he would hear me. He exhaled and shook his head as if I had no clue how bad it could get. "It's not like you'll go blind, right?" I said jokingly. "No, you're right, I won't. It would be worse than that."