C8 - Left alone with Jace

I couldn't look at Jace the same way now. He's a humorous person, which caused me to secretly like him a bit, however, that bit is gone now. He left Alex in so much pain without caring about the consequences that followed. What really confused me though, was the way he reacted earlier when Alex basically told him to back off. Jace put his hands in the air like he was respectful of Alex? Perhaps it was a silly joke on Alex. "Stop your overthinking, I'm fine," Alex said, interrupting my thoughts. "You don't have to pretend to be okay all the time," I answered. "You're being overdramatic, Valerie." "As touching as this is, we've got shit to do," Jace said, swinging the car keys around his fingers. I felt the anger rising, and I knew I would rage soon, which Alex seemed to notice rather quickly. He stepped in front of me so that he blocked my view to Jace. "We'll be out soon," he said to Jace while looking down at me.

As much as I wanted for Alex to tell me what was going on, I knew I wouldn't get any answers just yet. Alex is the type of person to have everything organized and well thought out. He has clearly made decisions and plans, and at some point, he must've fucked up somehow.

In the backseat of Alex's car, I sat watching Jace driving, but often my focus moved Alex instead. Alex was holding the book that he suddenly had found in my house, the one he raged about. His fingers were constantly moving around and I couldn't stop focusing on it. He had a firm grip on the book as if he feared to lose it somehow. "I think tomorrow will fit well, don't you think?" Jace asked, taking a turn. "Already?" Alex let out a small sigh. "Nah, you're probably right. You've waited five years, you should probably some more," Jace answered sarcastically. "Okay, fine," Alex exhaled, looking utterly displeased. "You know, I'm right here," I said. "Yeah, we know. We can smell you from here," Jace answered. Alex nudged Jace's arm with quite the shocked facial expression. "Oh, right, she doesn't know yet. Never mind, Valerie," Jace shook his head. Something tells me Jace isn't too happy about secrets either.

We literally drove for hours without anyone saying anything. They had set up some weird stuff on the car to keep the sun away, and it left me with so many questions as for example; are they afraid of tanning? Perhaps they're afraid of getting sunburnt.

"The sun is on its way down," Jace pointed out. "We're good to go now," Alex said as he stepped out of the car. "Where are we going?" I asked. "You have to stay outside with Jace," Alex told me. My eyes widened at Alex's unexpected words. "Hell no!" I stuttered. "Oh, come on, I'm not that bad," Jace again spoke in a sarcastic tone. "I refuse to stay with him, he's crazy!" I protested, feeling the panic increasing. "Listen, if you go in there you might not make it out alive," Alex explained. "How's that, huh? What makes me so different from you?" I asked sceptically. "Everything," he answered. "Everything?" I repeated, raising my eyebrows. "Stop being such a bitch towards Alex, just shut up and wait," Jace scoffed at me. "Why do you keep thinking that I'm speaking to you? You're just an arrogant jerk," I snapped. "What a charming girl you've got there, Alex."

"What's taking him so long?" I sighed to myself. "Aw, are you not enjoying my company?" Jace asked, making a pouty face. "Wait, yeah I do, sorry. I completely forgot just how much I love hanging out with violent strangers who beat up my boyfriend!" I answered. "Yeah, and I just love hanging out with a complaining bitch," he nodded to himself.

A thought stroke me as I was waiting in misery for Alex to return. I suddenly realized what an opportunity I currently had. Jace seems to hate secrets, especially the one or ones that Alex is keeping from me, so maybe he'll tell me?

"Jace?" I softened my voice. "I know that tone, it's the 'I want something from you' tone." Dammit, well, it's worth a shot. "I just wanted to ask you something," I said, turning my head in his direction. "Yeah, and what would that be?" he asked sceptically. "I don't need to tell Alex-" I started. "Woah, chill girl," he put up his hands while stuttering. "No, no, no, it's not what you think. I just wanted to ask you if you knew something that I should know too. I know that Alex is keeping something from me, and I hate it." "I do know, yeah. I know everything," he nodded. "So, can you tell me then?" I asked with a whole lot of hope. "Nah, it would ruin it." "Ruin what?" I frowned. "You think that Alex is putting you through misery with all his secrets. Truth is, he's sparing you all the shit that comes with the truth." "Jace, I doubt it will be too bad for me to be able to handle it," I answered, turning my head back. "Yeah, others have thought the same in the beginning as well, but not anymore."