C92 - Zane's guilty

After finally realizing what Jace meant by Nikkie being Hayden's weakening person, I started blocking the main entrance. "You can't tell Alex," I said. He raised his eyebrows and scoffed loudly, humoured at my attempt to stop him. "And why's that, hm?" he asked. "Ask yourself, Jace, is Alex ready to take on the full responsibility? Can he handle all the raging vampires who are out for revenge after killing Hayden? I highly doubt that!" I argued. He crossed his arms and looked down at me: "He's not ready yet, no, but once he is, there's nothing stopping me from telling him about her... and it certainly won't be you."

"How do I know for sure that you won't go straight to Alex and tell him?" I asked, stopping him right before he entered the building. He turned his head, coming closer to me so that I could smell his minty breath. "You may try to fuck around with Zane and Xavier to keep their mouths shut, but you can never guarantee that I'll keep your secrets. You don't know because I won't promise you anything," he answered, almost whispering. His steering green eyes became more covered as his eyes slightly closed more, making him look angrier. "If you tell Alex, I will tell him what you've been doing in his room," I threatened. Jace's mouth opened, shocked that I knew his dirty secret. He straightened his back so that his face wasn't as close to mine. He bit the inside of his lip, trying his best not to kill me on the spot. "Watch yourself, Valerie," he warned.

Jace may be tough and intimidating, but the secret he's keeping from Alex is too precious for him to give up. He agreed to not tell Alex about Nikkie as long as I didn't tell Alex what he'd been doing. I have no clue what he's been doing in Alex's room. I was just blurting out bullshit, but apparently, it worked. Jace texted Alex instead of entering the building again. He didn't want to risk Hayden seeing me again. "Valerie?" Nikkie called, opening the main door. "Nikkie?" I stuttered. Jace clenched his fists and tensed his jaw when he caught eye of Nikkie. "You have to leave! Hayden is sending his men after you or something, I didn't quite understand what he was talking about," Nikkie blurted out. "Where's Alex?" I asked worriedly. "He's getting the car, let's go," Jace said, putting his phone away. "Will you be okay?" I asked quickly. "Who the fuck cares?" Jace scoffed. "Probably, just go or else you won't be," Nikkie answered, carefully pushing me towards Jace.

Apparently, Alex had to leave without Jace and I. Jace told me that complications had caused a change of plans, meaning I was stuck with Jace once again. "Well, what do we do now? We don't have a car," I sighed stressfully. "Do you have to walk back and forth?" Jace hissed. "Oh, sorry, I completely forgot that it is stupid to be stressing when you have a vampire out to kill you!" I answered. "Hayden doesn't dare to leave Nikkie alone and he wouldn't bring her to me," Jace argued. "Well, Adeline and Dane could still come," I said. 

Jace muttered something under his breath, which I couldn't catch. "They will come back for us, but we'll have to stay in this shady forest until they do," he told me. "Are you sure you can handle that? I mean, without killing me?" I asked. "You blame everything on me, don't you?" he snickered, shaking his head. "Why? What's funny?" I frowned. He got up, moved closer, then he carefully placed his icy cold hand against the bite mark on my neck. "You blame this on me," he said, raising an eyebrow. With his other hand, he grabbed my wrist, exposing the wounds from when I first met him. "You think I did this, I know you do," he said, keeping his icy cold hands over my wounds. "It's the only answer that would make sense to me," I murmured. "Do you trust Alex?" he asked suddenly. "Of course," I answered. "Would you let him this close to your neck?" he asked, moving dangerously close to my neck. "Yes," I swallowed oddly. The tip of his nose touched my neck, sending shivers down my spine. "I trust Alex too, respectfully I would never risk his life by hurting you-" Jace started. "Where are you going with this?" I asked skeptically. "I want you to understand that you should only trust Alex, not anyone else, even Xavier and Zane. We all have our breaking points when it comes to human blood, you know." I took a step back, distancing myself from him as his 'speech' proceeded. "I forced Alex to take blood from you, which explains your wounded arm, and I would easily do it again," he told me. "What?" I gasped. "He'll explain why," Jace said. "You're-" I started. "Whatever, you can rage later. My point being, Alex is the only person I allow and force to take your blood... I never allowed or forced Zane to bite your neck."