C79 - Alex has been dropping hints

The panic that grew once Hayden suddenly took part in our secret conversation was intense. I gazed up at Xavier, waiting for him to react in some way. "Sorry for expressing my feelings through words that doesn't please your goodness," Xavier said, faking a smile. "Whatever," Hayden rolled his eyes. Wait, he didn't see the part where we guided Jace inside the hotel? Dane tilted his head to the side, gesturing for me to follow him. I hesitated for a second but decided to give him a chance. Anyway, it would've looked suspicious if I hadn't.

When closing the door, he kept looking at Hayden and Adeline, making sure they stayed away. "I heard what you said," he told me. "Well, shouldn't you run out to Hayden and rat me out then?" I asked, crossing my arms. He shook his head at me, making sure the door was completely closed. "What is it that you desire so much about Alex? His icy cold touch? His manipulative ways? The voice of his that can creep out everyone? Or wait, do you miss his faked love for you?" Dane asked as an attempt to test my limits. "I'm not doing this for Alex. I don't want to be on the run all the time, fearing that the people who surround me will suddenly kill me just because of who I am. I may be doomed because of Alex, but this is certainly not the way I want to handle it," I answered. "Oh, for God's sake, V!" he sighed frustratedly. I narrowed my eyebrows in confusion to his sudden frustration.

Dane spent a minute or so to control his anger before he spoke again. "When did I become your enemy? You're lying to me, and I know it. However, I'm not sure you know it. Perhaps you're lying to yourself as well, but the truth is that you want him back. Whenever Xavier mentions his name your facial expression changes, you soften, V. It's frightening that you are even considering to choose the evil side," he said. "At least he supported my decisions," I muttered. "But he doesn't deserve you," Dane exhaled distressfully. "Oh, and you do?" I asked. "No, no, V. I'm not into you in that way. You have no worries that such will happen. Lucky for you, I don't get attracted to people who associate with evil," he answered. I was about to say something, but he left, slamming the door behind him.

To see whether Dane could be right or not, I decided to read through some old messages that Alex had sent me. I had to read the ones Alex had sent through social media as Dane had deleted our other messages. When scrolling through them, I spotted several messages that once in time had cheered me up more than they probably should have.

"It's not the end of the world, Valerie. Just choose whatever you feel like. I know you'll succeed in whichever you choose." The message was from my school days when I had to pick subjects. "You left the TV on last night, I swear, I will throw it out the window next time," read another message. It makes sense to me now though. His hearing has always been better than mine considering the fact that he's a vampire. It must've been so annoying for him, yet he didn't throw it out. He handled it only to keep me satisfied.

The last text I read was from when I was taking an exam, which I was truly nervous for. "You know all the answers, and even if you do get stuck, you'll be able to think of something. Just use your knowledge and reflect on the question like you always do. Oh, and remember that not all questions have a specific answer." I wonder if he was only talking about my test that day or if he was actually talking about his secrets. I mean, use my knowledge and reflect? Has he been dropping small hints for me all along? He must've... and I haven't even noticed. God, I feel so stupid now. These aren't the only hints, looking through my messages, I could spot several actually.