C151 - In trouble?

-Valerie's point of view-

We figured there was no use in staying at my house until midnight. All we did was go in circles, speculating on what could happen when returning to the castle. "You okay, Alex?" Vera asked. Jace was staring at Alex intensely, waiting for his answer as though he was dependent on it. "As okay as I can be," he responded. "I, err, uh," Xavier stammered, his sight aimed at the castle in front of us. "Xylan won't harm you, Xavier," Vera assured him. He turned around, a sigh of stress escaping him before he looked over at Jace. "What? I'm not scared," Xavier said. "Your heartbeat tells a different story, but all right. Walk behind me, and you'll be fine," Jace answered, shutting the boot of the car. "It's not me that I'm worried for," Xavier muttered. Jace narrowed his eyebrows, signalising that he hadn't heard Xavier's answer. Nevertheless, Xavier chose not to repeat it.

I tried my best to keep my hands steady as well as my breath calm, but I found it somewhat challenging. At first, I thought it would be easy as I was surrounded by other people of high confidence, but when seeing Xavier acting anxious, I became so myself. He's with Jace, one of the most confident and reliable people I know, yet he's doubtful. That's worth remembering, especially when faced with Xylan. After all, Jace himself ended up severely injured as the result of a violent encounter with Xylan.

The castle was cleaned, though I could not tell whether it was because of Alex's return or not. I did feel as though the people here were much more welcoming now compared to when I returned with the Dizarys though. It certainly felt like it at least.

"Alex Caizar?" someone exclaimed. Alex turned around immediately, meeting a girl's bewildered eyes. She stuttered out some gibberish, trying desperately to organise her thoughts. "Rain, you should probably explain," Alex said, turning to Rain. I hadn't paid attention to the girl's outfit until now; black tights and a fitted top of dark colour, Rain's group. "Very well," Rain nodded once, stepping away from us. Frankly, Rain didn't fit in with her group anymore style-wise, but she sure still fit as a member of the group.

We were escorted by a young male to the third floor, to the fancier part of the castle. Alex's golden rose had been adjusted, and so he noticed reasonably quickly. His finger traced over the initials that were carved into the rose, though not with a pleased look. He almost looked burdened by it as if it bore memories of the wrong kind. "Someone adjusted it while whispering your name under their breath. Perhaps that person fears for the future," Xylan said suddenly. Alex's eyes closed the slightest, a sigh escaping him right after. "Regardless of whom ends up as the leader, my name will always be carved in this rose. Mine might have been on the verge of falling, but it was your rose that fell once in England, not mine," Alex answered, seeming somewhat absent as though he wasn't acknowledging Xylan's presence properly. "It's an object that carries no significant meaning," Xylan responded coldly. "It wasn't mine," Alex repeated softly, ignoring Xylan's answer completely. Clearly, those roses must carry some deeper meaning behind them.

The silence was brief after Alex's final comment about the golden rose. He turned around entirely, facing Xylan directly. "Where are they?" Alex asked. Xylan's eyebrow moved a bit as though he was surprised by Alex's appearance. He knew of the illness and how bad it was getting, yet he reacted to it? "You dare meet our parents without preparing yourself first?" Xylan questioned sceptically. "Well, they asked me here despite my current condition. I'm assuming their expectations of me aren't as high as I've been marked as weak, indecisive and unfit for a leader role?" Alex answered, stepping closer to Xylan.

Alex's answer had taken Xylan by surprise, at least it looked like it had. When Xylan spoke again, his voice sounded calmer, though just as cold. "Tell me, why is it that you haven't attempted to heal yourself?" he asked. "Have I mistaken your interests? I reckoned you wanted to see what happened to me after the invasion. Why would I heal your masterpiece just yet?" Alex scoffed softly. "Whether or not you would survive wasn't for me to know. When surviving it's foolish not to strengthen yourself. I know you're intelligent, Alex, but this isn't making any sense. Perhaps the rumours are true after all." "Ah, it must frustrate you that you can't force a decent answer out of someone for once. I owe you no explanation, so will you inform our parents before they lose their patience or what?" Alex said, his look appearing to be assertive.

Alex went with Xylan to whatever room, while I waited with the rest. Their conversation seemed to have gone well in my opinion, but Jace looked somewhat concerned. "What's bothering you?" I whispered. He bit the inside of his lip as his gaze moved to me, then it intensified, which looked considerably creepy. "He's angry," he answered shortly. "Who?" I frowned. "Alex is. I don't want him to screw things up now, but I have a feeling he might. The hate he has for Xylan is indescribably strong, and I'm not sure we should risk it," he continued. "We have no choice. You should trust Alex, I sure do," Vera commented. "I know, but something's wrong, Vera." Alex said the exact same thing several times earlier...

Jace walked back and forth, looking to be in deep thoughts, which evidently worried Xavier. "I don't want anything to happen to Leo. I think it's best if I place him in my room," Xavier said, casting a glance at his beloved cat. Jace tilted his head, looking directly at Leo. "Mm, must be one traumatised cat," he said absently. "Uh oh, Jace," Vera said suddenly, sounding nothing but worried. He returned the look quickly, his focus moving away from the cat in an instant. She raised her eyebrows as though she was waiting for Jace to take action, which he did. Without warning, he grabbed hold of my arm and told me to follow him hurriedly. "Here we go again," he exhaled deeply.