C110 - Bad decision

After getting to know what had happened, I felt even worse. I expected something awful but knowing someone I knew had been murdered by people I trusted... I did not expect that. I've spent so much time trying to figure out what Zane was really like and how his life had turned out the way it had. I would never be able to hear his side of the story now.

"My sister refused to feed on him because she cared for him so she decided to turn him and leave. Feeding on your weakening person makes you able to survive if they die as a vampire, but if you don't-" Alex started. "You die," I finished his sentence. He nodded, looking down at his hands. "I'm so sorry, Alex."

Zane's attitude, in general, made much more sense to me now. He couldn't keep in touch with Alex's sister and was forced to become a bloodsucking vampire. I would be pretty pissed as well if I'm being honest. I wish I knew this before judging him the way I did. Honestly, I should never have even judged him at all. The separation between "good" and "bad" vampires is absolute bullshit. The so-called "good" vampires are just as bad as the rest. And realizing that now, trusting Dane was a huge mistake, and I certainly won't fall for his stupid lies again.

I never got to know about Alex's sister, but I could see Alex really cared about her. He was looking at an old photograph he had of her. She had long and wavy, chestnut coloured hair, matching her brown eyes. Her face was covered in freckles, and she had a small mole beside her left eye.

"What was her name?" I asked hesitatingly. "Raven," he answered. "She looks a lot like you actually," I said. "I know," he exhaled. He placed the picture back down, still looking at it. "I used to be so protective of her, always making sure she wasn't getting into any trouble. I even kept her away from Jace," he told me, shaking his head. "Why didn't she come with you to America?" I questioned confusedly. "She was too good-hearted, hence why she couldn't be picked as a leader," he answered. "This shouldn't have happened, Alex. I should never have trusted Dane and I had no right to go behind your back," I sighed. "It would be unfair to hog the blame on you. It was a mixture of peoples' mistakes that caused it. They let him die of starvation to mess with us and let us know that they should be taken seriously, not to make me hate you," he answered. Starvation for blood, I presume, which is still murder by intention. "I know, but I meant what I said," I lowered my voice. "I know." "Your sister was beautiful, by the way," I said softly. "She said the same thing about you."

Everything felt so much different now. I felt closer to Alex and more distant to the other side. Seeing Alex, Xavier and Jace in a whole other way than what I normally have made me realize they all have feelings as well. They may not be showing them very often, but once they do, they're very well expressed.

I wish I hadn't gone into Xavier's room when it all happened. His hollers were still haunting my mind, making me regret every second of standing there watching. I've lost my parents, but I was very young and didn't get to know them very well. Xavier was clearly very close to his younger brother. His reaction was intense, heartbreaking and poignant. However, as unpleasant as it was, I think I needed to see him that way to truly understand just how bad we messed up. Hayden and the others had gone as far as to cause the death of both Zane and Alex's sister, not a smart move.