C76 - The growing lie

Dane's sudden change of behaviour surprised me and left me speechless. He looked indescribably disappointed and kinda angry actually. "I'm risking so much in order to keep you safe and here you stand, telling me that you want your dangerous life back? Did you expect me to react positively? Did you want me to tell you that you should go back and risk your own safety again? No, V, I'm not gonna say that. If you want to fuck this up just like that, then I have no guarantees that Adeline won't tell Hayden. Heck, I have no guarantees that I won't tell him myself," Dane said.

I found it quite strange how much he seems to care about me already. I mean, we hadn't known each other for long, yet he acts as if I'm family or his best friend. "Don't threaten me like that, Dane. I might be the one who will end up dead, but you'll be the one who has to live with the guilt afterwards, remember that," I answered. "God, you sound exactly like Xavier," he scoffed. "Listen, just because he's evil doesn't mean I am," I said, remarking Xavier's words. "I can't believe you," he shook his head disappointingly.

I left Dane behind, but I didn't go too far. Adeline entered to speak with him and it caught my interest. I carefully moved backwards, moving towards the bathroom door. "I told you not to trust her, you idiot. She has manipulated your mind, and you know what? It's probably her psycho boyfriend who's taught her how to!" Adeline almost growled. "She's just confused," Dane answered calmly. "Confused, huh?" Adeline scoffed sharply. I felt my pulse rise when I suddenly heard footsteps approaching me. "Everything okay, Diana?" Hayden asked. "Tell Hayden, Dane!" Adeline sighed stressfully. My eyes expanded, but Hayden didn't seem to notice. "What's going on?" he frowned. "They're just arguing a bit, don't they always do that?" I chuckled, hoping he would let it go. Hayden opened the door forcefully, exposing the two of them. "Hayden, Dane's been lying to you," Adeline said immediately. My jaw dropped at her words, knowing Hayden would kill me if he gets to know my secret. I'm sure he will. "Oh?" Hayden cleared his throat as his gaze moved towards Dane. "Yeah, he's been-" Adeline started. "Sleeping with Diana," Dane cut him off. "What?" Adeline stuttered. "Uh, okay, er-" Hayden stammered, scratching his head awkwardly. "So that she'll think of something else other than Zane," Dane lied. Adeline glared at me immediately with an angry facial expression. This lie is only growing bigger...