C19 - "I would kill you, Valerie"

"All this time Alex has had a freaking map that shows him my location at all times?" I stuttered, shocked to even say it aloud. "I think I know why though," Xavier said as he placed the paper on the bed. "Why?" I raised an eyebrow. "He can't track you by scent yet," he told me. "Alex was right, you truly are weird," I scoffed. "At least I tried." "Uh, where are you going?" I asked quickly. "I need to go check on something, it's really important," he answered. "More important than your life? Alex would kill you." "That's why Jace will be with you," he said. "Hell no!" I said loudly, grabbing his arm firmly. "Don't leave me," I begged. "Jeez, Valerie. I'll be back, don't worry." He unlocked the locks and for each lock, my fear increased. "Meanwhile you will leave me with the devil himself?" I asked with panic in my voice. "Jace can't kill you," he assured me. "Yeah, well, he can hurt me apparently," I muttered. "What?" he frowned at me.

I was gonna tell Xavier what had happened, but Jace entered. "Hey there, sunshine," Jace said as he leaned against the door frame. "Did you just compliment me?" I asked sceptically, letting go of Xavier's arm. "No, that was no compliment." Jace snickered at my confused facial expression before he turned his head Xavier's direction: "I can hear her heart beating louder now." "Yeah, I can understand why," Xavier said, his voice sounding nothing but displeased. "You're so boring," Jace scoffed, shaking his head slightly. "I'll be back soon," Xavier repeated himself. 

Being stuck in Alex's room with Jace was the last thing I wanted right now. Not only was I already displeased with Jace, but I also managed to fail at getting the paper back in the book. I saw the paper on the bed just a second too late, Jace sat down on it, without seeing it, luckily.

"So, it's here the action will happen or what?" he raised his eyebrows. I scoffed sharply at him, shaking my head automatically. A small laugh escaped his mouth as if he hadn't expected me to react differently.

Some minutes went by in silence while I was building up the courage to ask him a risky question. "Jace, why do you hate me so much?" I asked. I had to go back and forth and dwell on whether I wanted to risk my life on that question or not. His deep green eyes looked directly up at me, his facial expression had changed. He was no longer in his usual cocky mood, now he seemed angered. "You're honestly asking me why?" he scoffed, his voice sounding darker now. Oh shit, I might have fucked up. "Yes," I answered, my voice trembling slightly. Just by seeing Jace walking towards me, my breath quickened and so did my heartbeat, which I'm sure he was already aware would happen. He was smiling in front of me, but I recognized that smile, it wasn't a friendly one. His smile was nothing but mischievous and straight up cold. "You're ruining Alex, Valerie. My hate towards you may seem sarcastic at times, but it's real. Honestly, if I could, I would kill you here and now, but I won't because it would affect Alex as well."