C63 - Hayden Evanston

-Valerie's point of view-

Before entering the bus, Adeline commented on my sunglasses that apparently were too big for me. She probably found it weird that I wore them on the plane and now on the bus, but that way no one could see that I was sleeping during the trip. It's kinda awkward waking up to someone looking at me, knowing that they have seen how much of an ugly sleeper I am.

"Are you filled with hatred?" I asked directly, forgetting to think my question over. "No, but I do have a low tolerance for evil people," Adeline answered. "Whatever," I muttered. This time around, I got to sit with Dane instead of Adeline. I never thought I would feel this happy to exchange seats with someone, but I was.

During the bus ride, I realized that I actually didn't know where we were. I didn't pay attention when the stewardess or the pilot spoke, and I didn't even look at any screens. Wow, I can truly be oblivious. "Dane, as weird as this is to ask now, where are we?" I questioned. "Canada," he chuckled. "Oh, I've never been here before," I told him. "Not to sound rude or anything, but have you been anywhere?" he asked, turning his head in my direction. "Actually, yes, I have. Alex and I used to travel a lot before. He continuously wanted to visit places. Thinking back at it now, I assume it was a way for him to escape his wicked life or something along those lines.

Dane and Hayden swapped places as Adeline didn't want Dane to be affected by my "evilness". I thought it would feel the same having Hayden here, but it didn't. Knowing that he would kill me instantly if my real identity slips... yeah, it frightened me, but I couldn't show him that.

"You okay?" Hayden suddenly asked, making eye contact I was not prepared for. "Why would you ask that? Why wouldn't I be?" I asked, clearing my throat afterwards. He chuckled at my nervousness: "It's a basic question, Diana. You're probably not used to people being nice to you, which is very tragic." "Oh, yeah, right. I'm good, and you?" I questioned, faking a smile. "I should've been good, but I'm struggling with a feeling of guilt," he exhaled. "Guilt because of what?" I asked, curiously.

Apparently, Hayden felt guilt for separating two people from another, even two who he considered being evil. "You're talking about Xavier, aren't you?" questioned. "Yeah, but it isn't right. He's evil, and we both know Jace separates lots of couples when draining them for blood. Yet I feel guilty for taking him," Hayden said. "Wow, you really are good." "Is it considered good to feel guilt over an evil vampire?" he raised his eyebrows. "Yeah, because then you're not sinking down to his level, you know. He wouldn't feel guilty if he did the same to you," I answered. "Alexander didn't, so I guess Xavier or Jace wouldn't either, no." "What do you mean?" I frowned. "The reason why I was so glad that you weren't Valerie wasn't only because I would have to kill you. It was because Alexander put my girlfriend in danger a good while ago, and it wouldn't be any nice to surround myself with a person capable of loving someone like him." What the actual fuck? How long's a good while?

They kept Xavier and me separated so that we couldn't make evil plans on how to escape. It was, in fact, Dane and Adeline who wanted to keep us apart, not Hayden. For some weird reason, Hayden trusted me already. Or at least it felt like he was. "Did you and Adeline get along, by the way?" he asked, changing the subject. Hell no, not at all. "Yeah, to a certain degree. We have our differences that made it kinda tough, but we're getting there," I lied. "I'm sure you'll get along once she gets to know you better, you seem like a very nice person," he smiled. I wonder if he'd say the same knowing me as Valerie and not Diana...