Mute!Dick angst

No one can truly know how much I love mute!Dick fanfics. If you've seen any hit me up with them or even try doing them yourself, gimme dat good shit.

Have I been dead? Have I been in a time loop? Was I stuck in the speed force? Who knows but I'm here now with a story and untold sadness caused by Marvel

Damian was cranky as hell. He hadn't slept well for the last four days and anything was a reason to be angry. Especially Dick. The man never spoke and relied on sign language when he was away from the computer. Normally it was only a slight inconvenience to have to watch the movements his hands made. Dick had even gone the extra mile by miming the words during Damian's first few months there. Tonight, however, he had a particular disliking to anything that would take too long.

He had just come off a patrol when Dick waved to him with that insufferable smile. He was the only one who paid him attention when he returned with Tim. "How was patrol Damian?" he asked. Damian rolled his eyes and pushed past him as hard as he could. He frowned and followed the boy in an attempt to find out what was wrong. Earlier, Tim had been unhappily singing his praises so why was he so upset? He couldn't do much if Damian wasn't looking at him so he tapped him on his shoulder. Damian slapped his hand away with anger. Tim and Jason's attention went to the pair when they heard Dick hiss in pain. "What's wrong Damian?" Dick asked. He looked worried. Damian huffed and scowled at him. "You're what's wrong with your aggravating signing! Just talk like a normal person," Damian snapped. He then redirected his eyes from the very hurt looking Dick. He had informed Damian that he was very self-conscious about his signing in confidence he wouldn't use it against him. Damian shook the guilt he felt away and assured himself that if Dick didn't want the weakness exploited he should've kept it to himself. 

Dick looked to his other family members. "Is it that annoying?" he asked. 

"No," Tim answered, dragging out the o. He mentally face-palmed for sounding so fake but, in truth, it was annoying that Dick didn't talk. You couldn't do two things at once and his stories were so long when you had to concentrate on his hand movements. On missions, it would be easier to just get an instant answer rather than waiting on a text. Dick's eyes widened and he looked to Jason for any assurance. "You do your best with what you have," Jason said. 

"Why do you spare him of the facts? He's an inconvenience that we have to deal with because Father can't unload a twenty-five-year-old man at a damn orphanage!" Damian shouted. They shouldn't dance around an issue like this. It was the silent elephant in the room. He was a hindrance. He was lucky to be there.

Dick put a hand over his mouth as a sob threatened to break free. His bright blue eyes were slowly dying. "Dick, don't cry it's fine," Tim said, trying to calm him down. Damian had other ideas. "It's not fine! Every interaction is as annoying as the last!" Dick went to sign but stopped himself quickly. He went to open his mouth but no words came out. He trembled with frustration. "See he can't even-"

"I'm sorry," Dick croaked. It was nothing more than a whisper yet they all heard it. His voice was hoarse from not being used and had an accent to it they couldn't place. They stared at him in silence as his shoulders hunched up and tears travelled down his face. "You spoke," Damian stated. Dick nodded, keeping his eyes on the floor. He could feel their stares burning into his soul. He didn't want to be there. He glanced around for any escape and settled on the stairs to the manor. They couldn't get a word in edge wise as he was soon dashing up them as though he was running for his life. Or perhaps running from his life. "Dick wait!" Tim shouted. "You're fucked up Damian!" he added, chasing after the older. 

"That was cruel, even by my terms," Jason muttered. He walked to his motorcycle, not wanting to stay any longer than he had to. This was their problem. He didn't have time nor energy to deal with it. "He's spoken in his sleep before," Damian responded. It wasn't an excuse but he tried it anyway. He was still trying to shake off the shock of hearing Dick speak. "He sees his family fall to their deaths. He sees us be tortured, shot and murdered in an endless loop. It's not exactly his choice what his subconscious makes him do, Damian." Jason's hands gripped into a fist. "I've never heard him speak consciously before. Not even when tortured." He put on his helmet. "Well done, you broke him before Joker could. You deserve a fucking award." He left and Damian stood in silence processing just how significant this was.

Third person Damian pov

Damian had made Grayson speak in the first time in what had to be over a decade and the first words were "I'm sorry." Flashing images of Grayson's pained face as his hands faltered invaded Damian's vision. Guilt took over his body, hurting his heart the most. He looked to the stairs as a sick feeling kicked in. All of this because he was tired. It was in no way worth it. He sprang up the stairs and looked around the bottom floor for the tender hearted hero only to find Pennyworth. "Have you seen Grayson?" he asked with certain desperation in his voice. He didn't like that weakness but that wasn't he main problem right now. "Master Tim was shouting for him in the attic. Has something occured?" Pennyworth answered. On first instinct, he shook his head. "Nothing important. Resume your duties," he replied, sprinting away. The butler guessed they were playing hide and seek again. That game never ended well.

Damian stormed up the attic stairs to find Drake shouting Grayson's name into the darkness. He whipped around when he heard Damian reach the top of the stairs and scowled harshly. "What do you want?" Drake snapped. Pure unadulterated anger radiated off him. 

"I wanted to speak to Grayson," Damian said. He made sure that his voice was loud enough so the acrobat could hear as well. They heard some shuffling in the darkness and assumed it was the eldest moving uncomfortably. Drake sighed with worry. "You can't expect me to even let you ten feet near him after what you did," he stated. "You were unprovoked."

"I haven't slept in days and his constant cheerfulness just irked me. Grayson understands that sleep deprivation is a good excuse," Damian argued. 

"For knocking over a priceless vase yes but not for what you did. Why did you even bother coming up here?" Damian's fists shook with pain and upset. It wasn't as easy to show love as it was for the others. It wasn't how he was raised. He was raised to hate. To never trust a soul. "I'm here because I care for Richard as much as you do!"

There was shuffling, loud shuffling, and they turned to see Grayson standing beside an old dresser. "Dick, do you want a hug?" Drake asked. Normally there would be no hesitation yet today there was. Grayson just glanced up at him sadly, his hands clasped together to beat the urge of signing. Damian noticed this and walked up to him, pulling them apart. "I apologize for what I did, for making you break the vow. I didn't want to make you cry or make you uncomfortable. You understand that."  Slowly but surely, Damian hugged him and was hugged back tightly. He sniffled a little. This hurt but also felt good. Why were emotions like this? "You can sign. It's not annoying," he insisted. Grayson released him and sat cross-legged on the floor. "I'm sorry I can't be a normal brother."

"We don't want a normal brother," Drake assured him. Grayson glared at the woodwork frustratedly. He was silent again. Silence was deadly. "What's bothering you?" He glanced back up at them, an exasperated sigh escaping his lips. "You didn't ask to deal with my problems but you have to now." Damian frowned and Drake furrowed his eyebrows. 

"Dick it's fine, don't worry about it."

"No. I should be over it by now. Why aren't I over it?" Damian grabbed his hands to get his attention. "A great hero once told me you don't need a voice to help. All you need is hope and great moves," Damian told him rather sternly. 

"And don't forget using weaknesses to your advantage," Drake added.

"And perform like the world isn't watching," Grayson finished. A smile broke out on his face as he pulled them into a hug. "Love you," he croaked. They smiled tearfully. 

"Love you too."