OOF Part 2

First off I wanted to say sorry to Mypotatolife because you requested this part two but I don't think it's what you wanted to happen. I'll explain why afterwards. I can always do an alternate ending. Blessings of being a writer.

Dick walked into the Batcave with a solemn air about him. He got changed into his Nightwing suit and travelled to sit on the desk where Batman was working. "What did you need me for?" he asked. There was a distinct lack of joy in his voice that Batman was used to. "Stake out, remember?" Batman said. He glanced at Nightwing with a hint of worry. He looked like he had been crying. "How was the wedding?" he asked, standing up. Nightwing shrugged as they walked to the Batmobile. "Somewhat eventful. I'd rather not talk about it," he answered. Batman nodded and drove out. He knew that the wedding would upset his son. He knew how his son felt about the speedster and how his heart would ache seeing him at the alter with someone other than him. Being best man mustn't have helped as he had to help plan the wedding as well as attending all while pretending to be happy.

"How did your date go last week?" Batman asked, changing the subject. 

"They didn't really want a relationship. I've kinda given up on the dating scene for a little while. Just till I feel like getting back out there," Nightwing replied. Batman nodded and sighed. "Maybe that's for the best. Dating is hard for a hero," he said. Nightwing shrugged glumly. 

"What isn't hard for a hero?"

The stake out was silent until Nightwing posed a question. "If you loved someone but thought they'd be happy with someone else, would you let them go with that person?" he asked. 

"It depends. Is this someone a friend or an ex lover?" Batman inquired. 

"A friend, one you've known for years, and they're marrying another good friend," Nightwing explained. It was clear who and what he was talking about but Batman played along. "I would express my feelings towards them first and see how it goes," Batman said.

"But what if the other person had a crush on them?" Batman turned to him. 

"Nightwing, sometimes in life you have to do what's good for you. It's hard when you've spent your whole life doing what's best for others," he explained.

Nightwing looked out onto the city he'd given his life too. It was true. He found it harder to do things that would benefit him more than others these days. "Batman, I've made a really big mistake and I'm not sure if I can fix it. I think it's too late," he stated, a tremble in his voice clear. Batman put a hand on his protégé's shoulder. "This will be the hardest thing you will do but you have to move on. There's no point in swooning over a married man."

"I can't believe I didn't tell him. Why didn't I tell him?" he asked with tears in his eyes. 

"Because you put someone else before you. You will never stop doing that's it's in your nature. If I could go back in time I would probably force you to tell him," Batman told him with a dark chuckle. Nightwing managed a laugh. "Well I can't change the past no matter how much I want to. I'll just have to learn to live with it."

Before you throw rocks at me for not giving ya a happy ending I just want to explain. Sometimes love isn't reciprocated or it's left unknown. I thought it would be too much of a leap for Wally to suddenly dump Artemis for Dick. I'm a die hard Birdflash shipper but in the terms of this story I thought it was best to leave it as Dick dealing with this. I couldn't do it no matter how much I wanted to. For now at least, Wally doesn't love him back.