A scar predicament

EDIT: TW SCARS ARE A THEME THROUGHOUT 

Tim groaned as he inspected his scar in the mirror with the whole of his family behind him. The scar ran across his lips and was very noticeable. "Looks like you're gonna have to wear a scarf over your face for the rest of your life," Jason commented. "Or you could always try something like my helmet."

"Yeah a costume change and me wearing scarves forever won't make me look suspicious at all!" Tim shouted angrily. "What about make-up?" Damian suggested.

"Make-up doesn't cover scars very well plus your complexion would suffer," Bruce said, receiving a few weird looks. "You guys do realise we can solve this easily right?" Dick asked, getting their attention. "How?" Tim demanded. He couldn't hide this thing. 

"Bruce, do we still have my files from when I was Robin?"

Bruce nodded and went over to the computer. He typed in a code and the files popped up. "I created a chip that hides scars when I was ten after my first run in with Joker, that guy didn't hold back. I can always make a new one for you," he explained, opening the files. 

"That's great but what about in the meantime?" Tim asked. "I have school to go to."

"Just use mine. I've got nowhere to go since the PD gave me a few days off."

"Why?" Damian asked.

"Traumatic experience; I got hit with fear gas. Didn't need the days off but I took 'em to spend time with you," he answered. 

"So that's why you were all screaming yesterday," Jason said.

"You heard us and didn't help?"

"You had it covered."

"Two of our officers were put into a mental institution!"

"Out of six, those are good statistics," he defended. Dick rolled his eyes and printed out the blueprints. "I'll go get changed and then I'll start on it." Tim grinned and hugged him quickly. "Thanks Dick!" After that, they all went to bed except for Dick who was determined to finish the chip as quickly as he could. He was happy to be helpful to Tim after the tension over being Robin. 

At half seven, Tim sped down the stairs to the cave. "Hi Dick, I need to use that chip now," he announced. Dick had been sleeping in the chair with his legs propped up on the desk. In fright, he propelled himself backwards and hit the floor. "Holy flock of geese Tim, you scared the hell out of me," Dick replied startled. Tim helped him up with a laugh. "What did you need again?"

"The chip Dick."

"Oh right yes," he answered. He put a hand behind his neck and tapped on his collar twice. Tim raised an eyebrow and opened his mouth to ask a question when a small chip showed up on the back of his collar. He unclipped it and suddenly all of his scars appeared. Tim's eyes widened at the majority of them. There were many on his arms and he assumed there were others on his clothed body. He had a few on his face too, one being a very distinctive J on his cheekbone. "Dick-"

"Turn around so I can put it on you," Dick said quickly to distract him. He did as he was told and the chip was put on his shirt, tapped twice then he walked to a mirror. The scar was gone completely.  "Dick this is amazing and you made this when you were a kid?" Tim asked. 

"Yeah with a little help from Wally," he answered with a laugh. "You sound so surprised I can do this sort of thing."

"Well you're not exactly a genius," he said, trying to be as inoffensive as possible. 

"I was the smartest until you came along Timmy. Then I became the most flexible but even Damian is near to taking that title." Tim frowned, a burning question on his mind. 

"When I get home can we talk about something?"

"Sure kiddo, that's what big brothers are for. Now go have fun at school." Tim nodded and ran out to Dick waving him out.

When Tim arrived home from school, he immediately went to the cave where he found Dick being surrounded by his family. He had no shirt, showing off a lot of white lines in the forms of J's and H's as well as a few from smashed glass and knives. "How long have you had all these?" Jason questioned. "A better question is how long have you been wearing that chip?" Damian asked. "Why haven't you told me about this? I'm your father Richard!"

"I hate everything about this," Dick muttered. 

"I'm guessing they saw them?" Tim chuckled. He received a groan from the older as he batted away the hands. "To answer all your questions so you can get the hell out of here. 1) Got my first at four when I fell off the roof of my caravan. 2) I've been wearing it since I made it back when I was ten. 3) I haven't told you because even though you are my parental guardian you don't have to know the ins and outs of my life." They were about to raise other questions but Dick began to push them out the cave. "Scram all of you until it's time for dinner. Whilst you're up there someone get Damian put into a school for God's sake!" he exclaimed. 

"I don't need school!"

"You're ten, you need school!"

He finally got them to leave and sank back into the office chair to continue work on the chip. "Tim you said you wanted to ask me something earlier?" Dick asked. Tim hopped up onto a free space on the counter and nodded. "It's about the whole Robin thing. You said you used to be the smartest until-"

"Little piece of Damian. Sorry, continue."

"-until I came along." Dick nodded for him to continue. "Well you were the first Robin, do you ever miss things from it?" Dick sat back in a moment in thought. 

"I do miss being the only Robin and what that meant in terms of expectations for me. Sorta miss being the baby of the family as well and being the best because there was no one else," he answered. "Why do you ask?" Tim frowned and Dick didn't miss it. "What's this about really?" Dick inquired. "You don't normally ask questions about me being Robin."

"You don't normally answer them," Tim answered. He sighed. "You were the first and I just feel like we took a lot from you. Other than Robin."

"What makes you think you took anything?" Tim teared up and jumped off the table, curling up his fists. "Jason took being the fiercest, I took being the smartest, Damian took being the youngest and a whole lot more than just that! We left you with being just an acrobat Dick!"

At this point, he pulled Tim into his lap and hugged him tightly. "I'm not just an acrobat without Robin. You shouldn't feel like you took this all from me when none of you did. I chose to leave Robin and frankly I'm proud that I left something that could give you all purpose even if you are branching out." Tim sniffled and looked up at him. 

"Really?"

"Yes! I mean it's not like the costume I left was any good but I left a name. Which you took a part of may I remind you." Tim laughed slightly and snuggled into his chest more. 

"Do you not resent us?" Dick stayed quiet for a moment in thought. 

"If I'm honest yes but for a different reason to what you think."

"And what's that?"

"You all don't fear becoming Batman as I do. Jason completely went ajar from him, you did too and Damian would just love to be him one day. I get jealous that you don't second guess yourself to make sure you're not acting like him." Dick explained. "But resent you for being better than me? Never! I'm proud of you Tim," he added. Those words made Tim hold on to him tighter. He smiled into his chest. "Are you going to move so I can get this done?"

"Nope I'm comfortable now."

"Tim seriously you're still in your uniform and you're not as small as you used to be."

"You'll carry me before I move."

"Tim I swear to God!"