Robin saving robin

Look at his smug ass face when Barbara roasts Tim. By far my favourite photo of Damian. Here's a fanfic that I think is pretty cute.

Dick always loved the land that Wayne manor had around it. It was big, green and full of trees. Trees meant animals and a young hyperactive Dick found an odd calmness when watching animals. That was probably why Alfred kept him outside half the time. He was walking around absent mindedly when he heard a snap. He looked around and he saw a robin on the floor, unable to fly away. Something in Dick made him instantly run to it then kneel beside it. "What happened lil buddy?" he asked. He lightly touched its wing, receiving a distressed tweet. He expected to see a mother bird come swooping down and attack him but there was no one. "Where's your Mama?" Dick asked. "Maybe you're like me! Don't worry, I'll help you. You'll be better in no time. You're not a circus animal so I'll just improvise. I should give you a name," he rambled. "What about Robin? Nah too obvious. Lenny? Nope. Larry? Yeah Larry!" The bird tweeted, he took it as a yes. Dick grinned at Larry then thought for a moment. There was no way Bruce or Alfred would knowingly let a bird in the house. He'd have to do it without them knowing. "Stay right here, I'm gonna have to sneak you in." The bird chirped which Dick took as a question of his talents. "Larry I'm a hero at night, sneaking you in will be a piece of cake compared to that. I'm hurt you would think less of me." 

Dick ran inside and found Alfred. The butler would help him but wouldn't know the truth. "Hi Alfie, can you help me?" he asked politely.

"Of course Master Dick. What is it?" Alfred asked with a kind smile. "I need a shoe box. A big one."
"May I ask why?" Alfred asked, intrigued. 

"I wanna build a little environment thing. It's for school," he lied. 

"You don't go to school sir, you're home schooled." Dick internally slapped himself in the face.

"Wally does. He's busy with hero work so he can't do his project so I offered to do it," he explained. Alfred seemed happy with the answer and left, returning with a shoe box. "Don't make a habit of doing his work, Master Dick," Alfred warned. Dick nodded and ran back outside. He ran to Larry and gently placed him in the shoe box. "Maybe I should put some leaves in here, make it homie. What do you think Larry?" Dick asked. Larry just stared at him. "Leaves it is. I should probably look up how to help you. That'll be a fun addition to my internet history." (Get your minds out of the gutter he's ten.) He picked up the box and walked inside with the lid half closed. He made his way upstairs and began to decorate the box, keeping the bird on one of his comfy pillows. "You'll be better in no time Larry. A robin looks after his fellow robins."

Over the next week, Alfred and Bruce had been wondering what Dick was doing for hours. All they heard was talking and sometimes bird noises. They had noticed small pieces of food going missing as well and Dick wasn't one to snack.

Bruce once knocked on the door. "What're you doing Dick?" he asked. 

"Nothing!" Dick shouted back through the door. At this moment, the boy had been checking on his bird friend. "Can I come in?" Dick scrambled to hide Larry without hurting him. 

"Erm no, I'm," he paused trying to find an excuse that would stop him coming in. "I'm practicing my eyeliner." He then gently mouthed "What?" at himself. Bruce stared at the door with a confused expression. "Dick, why are you practicing your eyeliner?" 

"I'm emo now?" It came out like a question rather than an answer. 

"Aren't you a little young for that?"

"It's never too young to be who I really am!" Dick convinced him. It was something he heard the group of teenagers that wore all black shout at their parents. Bruce swiftly speed walked in the opposite direction. He was not going to deal with that so early.

Alfred tried again a few weeks later and opened the door quietly. Maybe he could coax Dick into preventing the emo phase for another couple of years. He was near silent as he watched Dick get a box out from under the bed. Inside was a small bird, a robin in fact. He smiled to himself as Dick carefully picked the bird up, gently placing it on a cushion near the window. "Alright Larry, you're all healed up and ready to go." Alfred desperately held in a laugh. Larry. Of all names. Dick chose Larry. He had to video this for Bruce. He clambered for his phone and recorded this encounter. Dick grinned at his bird friend. He opened the window and sighed. "Every bird has to leave the nest. I'll miss you Larry. I won't miss you going to the bathroom everywhere and pecking at my eye in my sleep but I'll miss you as a person. Well as a bird rather." Larry got up and looked back at Dick before flying away. Dick waved goodbye and closed the window. "How long have you been hiding a bird in your room Master Dick?" Alfred asked suddenly, stopping the recording and sending it to everyone on his contacts. Dick jumped and whipped around. "Erm not that long. Just like, the best part of a month," Dick admitted nervously. Alfred smiled at him. "You named the bird Larry," he chuckled. 

"He liked the name Larry," Dick defended. 

"She, Master Dick, that was a female robin." Dick nodded in realization. 

"Oh. Lori then. Lori liked the name Larry." Dick said trying to play it off. Alfred simply laughed and walked out. "Lori the robin," he chuckled.