~ Chapter 44 ~

Present Time

Silence.

Darkness.

Nothing to be heard, nothing to be seen.

Everything is black, like an endless abyss has trapped me. As if I was in a dark room, one step forward would lead to nothing, a step back would lead to nothing.

All I could do was stand still, processing the black around me. Not hearing a thing, not even my own steady breaths.

It's suffocating... and nostalgic.

Have I died?

There's no way I could have died... I was just fighting Dabi, it wasn't anything serious. Just an ordinary fight to gain a place in the league of villains and gain their trust while proving myself.

But what if I am dead?

No... there's no way I could die... I didn't even do anything yet.

I'm only a 16 year old brat who's in love with a moody candy cane.

I still have to grow up, live a free life with nothing to worry about. I still have to repay everyone who'd helped me after I escaped the hospital. I have to try different foods. I need to open a business like Mom and Dad...

I need to see Shoto happy.

As if being triggered by all my wants and needs, I felt a small jerk in my heart. It was a small one, but enough to make a big impact.

A slow, steady sound slowly filled my ear drums as I felt faint reality coming back towards me. The steady beating of my heart triggered something inside me.

No. I'm not ready to die. Not yet.

I won't give up until I get what I want.

My eyes snapped open as a blinding light clouded my vision, bringing me back to reality. It took me a long second to adjust to the light and process my surroundings.

And also process the tight lump on my neck.

What the-

I slowly trail my hands to my neck, feeling the smooth bandages wrapped around it. The low beeping of the machine could be heard from the tip of my ear.

I managed to get my inhalers... right?

Does that mean I finally gained the league's trust? Have I finally been able to drill a path towards finishing this mission?

I stared at the ceiling dumbfounded as I felt my fingers glider across the fabric of the bandage. A sudden realization hit me as my full consciousness returned.

My bandages were professionally wrapped.

Hospital.

"You've finally woken up." A voice says from the door. I watch blankly as Aizawa walks into the hospital, closing the door behind him.

I slowly sit up on the bed, feeling a little stiff from the lack of movement I had for the past time. My eyes trail around the room as I pull my knees closer towards me.

"You've been unconscious for the past day and half." Aizawa muttered, pulling a chair from the side and taking a seat.

I don't pay much attention to him, feeling a cold sweat drop down the back of my neck as my once calm and steady breath got uneven. A dark feeling crumbling up my stomach

"Nora...?"

"H-Huh?" I immediately say, snapping my head towards Aizawa.

Aizawa stays quiet, staring at me intently as I trail my eyes away from him, looking at the floor quietly. There's a tense silence as I felt his eyes on my hand which I had held on my shoulder, putting steady taps on them with the tips of my index finger.