1 - The Chair (unedited 9/24/20)

Beginne am Anfang

"I'll allow you to soak for a few minutes and then we'll go to Master."

Again, Eden nodded. When Matilda left the bathroom, she closed her eyes and allowed her tears to fall. Matilda was the only company Eden had. The thought of losing yet another ink to the outside world only added to her building depression.

At exactly noon, Eden was delivered to Declan's chambers, with Matilda at her side. But as the pair entered the room, Eden found that Declan was nowhere in sight. His room sat silent and empty, perfectly made up to look like something out of a home décor magazine. Not a thing was out of place.

"Where is he?" Eden asked

"Master is a busy man, Dearie. He may not always be around when he calls on you. And in those times, you wait for his arrival." Matilda stepped toward a massive throne like chair stationed in the middle of Declan's room. It faced the bedroom door and stood out from everything around it. "Come now. Sit."

Eden sat, noticing the soft leather seat beneath her. Her fingers grazed the same leather covering each of the armrests. Underneath that softness was deep cheery wood, polished and flawless. The high back chair towered over her head. It stood easily at six or seven feet tall and displayed an intricate design.

Matilda places Eden's forearms over the armrests so her fingers curled over the ends. She moved to Eden's feet and placed each one in such a way that her heels and calves pressed against the chair. Her hands went to Eden's shoulders and pressed them back against the chair.

Eden's muscles were oddly strained in this position. Her body was poised in such a way that made her feel almost regal sitting in the chair. Her back flush with the wood, her head held high as though she were a queen waiting for her king to arrive.

The thought made Eden giggled. It was foolish to think of such trivial things as Queens and Kings. She wasn't a Queen. She wasn't even a servant. She was a slave, which was something entirely beneath the role of a servant.

"Eden are you paying attention?" Matilda disrupted her thoughts.

Eden met Matilda's gaze, "Did you say something?"

"It's very important that you pay attention to what I'm about to say." Matilda started, "You must remain in this chair just as you are until Master comes for you."

Eden itched her nose and Matilda pressed her lips.

"You mustn't move an inch. Not even to scratch an itch." Matilda guided Eden hand back to the arm rest and Eden took note of how Matilda curled her fingers over the edges of the wood, making it appear as though Eden were gripping the wood. "Don't move."

Matilda's eyes bore into Eden soul. "I can feel the fight within you building. Resist it. Prove to Master that you are of willing heart and mind and you'll be rewarded."

"When will be here?" Eden asked, wondering how Matilda knew about her building anxiety. Sitting and waiting wasn't something Eden liked or ever did.

"I haven't a clue, Dearie." Matilda's hands cupped Eden's cheeks, a thin-lipped smile spread her mouth. "I believe in you. You can do this. You just need to show resistance."

"I just sit and wait? That's it?" Eden mumbled more to herself.

"Yes. When Master arrives, he'll have further instructions." She pressed her lips to Eden's forehead and whispered a quiet prayer, "May the Gods calm your stubborn spirit and grant you the ability to obey. Obedience is painful not only to one's body but to their pride. Remember that, child."

Eden didn't know how she felt about Matilda saying that. If there were such a thing as Gods, why would she be here? Then again something happened within Eden's chest. That bubbling tightness that was captured her lungs relaxed the slightest bit; her pounding pulse eased.

"This is where I leave you." Matilda pulled back and the moment her hands left Eden's cheeks the tightness returned.

As Matilda closed the door behind her, Eden's eyes teared up. She didn't want to be alone. There wasn't a visible threat inside Declan's room, it was an ordinary, but mentally Eden's was becoming unnerved by that sudden stillness, the stifling quiet.

She closed her eyes and willed her chest to rise and fall at a normal rate. Tears streamed down her face as she struggled to breath.

You're okay. Everything is okay. Just sit still and wait. This should be easy enough, right?

When Eden opened her eyes, it was too the image of the same room only the feel to the air had changed. The door remained closed. Eden remained seated. Everything was as it should be, yet there was still that nagging sensation growing within her that something wasn't quite right.

She didn't know how, but Declan was already herewithin this room.

Words: 1,431

Don't forget to check out my other stories!

The Hilstead Experiment: 1986 - Three prisoners escape an experiment involving human subjects.

The Hilstead Experiment: Adrift - Ten strangers board a plane that crashes into the ocean, turning their promised paradise vacation into a deadly experiment of survival.

The Carriers - Tainted meat turns a small farming town into a parasitic zombie war zone only a vegetarian can handle.

In The Pines- Annabel Lee enters into the highest rated gameshow of the afterlife to win a second chance at life.

And if you're looking for writing advice check out my story Year of the Author.