16 - Day 20/Where is Ben? (unedited 9/2/20)

Please note that this hasn't been edited yet. It's a raw draft. Feel free to rip it apart. Tell me what you like or hate. I want to make BE the best book it can possibly be so honest feedback is always welcome. Consider sharing this book on social media and with others who may enjoy it and help get Breaking Eden noticed by Wattpad. Thanks for reading! :0)

P.S. School is starting so updates may slow down to once a week/when I get the free time to write. Thank you to all the readers that have stuck with me! It means a lot.

________________________________________________________________________________

16 – Day 20/Where is Ben? 

Eden awoke to the echoing sound of metal grinding against metal. The dark lightened to a shadowy grey as the little slot lifted up.

"Ben?" The name came out as a groan, a sweet memory that seemed a thousand years old. It pained her to move her aching head as she rolled to the side to catch a glimpse of him.

The person on the other side of the door said nothing.

"Say something." Her voice cracked.

The person set the tray of food on the floor and pushed it through the slot, almost hitting Eden in the face.

The slot fell closed. Seconds later, the silence filled with the lock sliding back into place.

"Come back." Her half-heated plea fell on deaf ears as the steady thumps of their feet carried them away.

Her stomach growled. She reached out, felt a square shaped foil packet. With shaking fingers, she peeled back the foil and took a huge bite and immediately spat it out.

It wasn't a grilled cheese sandwich, or any other sandwich for that matter. It was dog food mashed between two burnt slices of bread.

She folded the foil back over it and dropped it on the tray.

He knows. Tears filled her eyes.

Declan came to deliver a message.

Eden lost the last ounce of sanity within her. The heat. The suffocating darkness. It was all caving in around her.

She lashed out, screaming until her aching lungs burned. She kicked the wall nearest her feet but only managed to launch her headfirst into the wall above her. Pain radiated down the top of her head, moving down her neck, and seeping into her stiff shoulders.

Eden didn't stop, she couldn't.

With every kick she dealt, she imagined the wall crumbing. With every smack of her hands, the walls crumbled in her mind.

As the walls crumbled so did her mind. Beyond her screams was the thunderous sound of thrashing waves. Within those depths sat the black hands, tipped with claws. They waited patiently for her to fall from the stars that now surrounded her in the darkness of the little room.

Eden screamed and screamed until there was nothing but her darkness calling her home. She fell through the night sky, tumbling in a daze. When her back met the water's surface there was no resistances.

The hands held her, comforted her in her time of need, and Eden didn't resist.

***The Hearing Keelan Burrows***

Eden sat in a hand-me-down skirt and blouse donated to the group home she currently stayed at. She was tucked behind the defendant's section silent and cold.

She glanced around the crowded courtroom, expecting everyone to be reading the front-page worthy news of her parent's murder.

That was months ago. Eden's face no longer graced the front page with her parents and brother. Instead they were lost among those pages and were forgotten old news. Until today.