19 - Day 30/One Day more (unedited)

Please note that this hasn't been edited yet. It's a raw draft. Feel free to rip it apart. Tell me what you like or hate. I want to make BE the best book it can possibly be so honest feedback is always welcome. Consider sharing this book on social media and with others who may enjoy it and help get Breaking Eden noticed by Wattpad. Thanks for reading! :0)

________________________________________________________________________________

9 – Day 30/One Day more

Eden awoke to the closet door being thrown open. Bright light flooded her tiny room, blinding her as she lay squinting up in confusion. A large shadow emerged from the light. She held her hands up to shield her eyes only to have her arm grabbed.

The shadow yanked her from the closet floor and out into the normalcy.

"Stand up." Declan ordered.

Eden could only sequent up at him, still trying to regain her footing but fell to her side. "Good morning to you too." The words came out in a jumbled groan.

He pulled her to her knees by the hair.

"Don't test me." His tone chilled her skin.

She remained motionless and silent.

Within seconds, he pulled Eden to her feet with little help from her. Pain radiated down her neck, but his grip didn't let up until she was standing on her own.

"You'll go upstairs and shower then report to my chambers. Is that understood?"

Eden winced when his grip tightened in her hair.

She gasped. "Okay."

Eden had expected him to strike her, to yell at her, or punish her there in front of the closet under the stairs. But he didn't. He released his hold and watched her hurry up the stairs at a slow crawl. Her legs felt weak, her back throbbed with having to support her newfound weight.

But what worried Eden the most was that Declan didn't follow her. He just stood silently at the bottom of the stair, watching her move until she disappeared into the upper hall.

When Eden reached her bedroom door it stood ajar. She hesitated, listening to the noises within. Matilda was mumbling to herself and there was the faint sound of the bath filling. She counted to 10 before entering the room.

Matilda barely noticed her. The older woman went about the room, tidying up the space. She wouldn't even look Eden's way near the open bedroom door as she disappeared back into the bathroom. The water shut off and seconds later Matilda emerged from the bathroom.

Wiping her hands on her apron, Matilda finally spoke but still refused to look at her. "Master's expecting you within the hour. You must hurry. I've been instructed to prep and deliver you to his chambers."

"I-" Eden started but Matilda cut her off.

"I'm under strict orders not to speak with you." Matilda side stepped past Eden and existed the room.

Eden wondered into the bathroom. Nothing special awaited her. No scented oils added to the water. No rose petals floating on the surface. There weren't even any bubbles. She'd become spoiled with Matilda's special baths and now she'd expected the same thought and care put into all of them.

There was only lukewarm water in the tub.

Eden reached into the water and pulling the stopper to empty it. Why take a bath if you can soak and enjoy it? She figured a shower would not only be faster, but it would force her legs to work again, her back to hold her up.

Within ten minutes, Eden emerged from the shower squeaky clean and warm. She did her best not to think of want Declan has in store for her. Would there be a beating, a rape, or did he finally have enough of her to kill her? She didn't know. But her mind filled with an endless rotation of possibilities. She sat at the vanity to brush her hair.

Matilda returned a few minutes after Eden finished. The old woman's hands worked quickly and effortlessly as she braided Eden's hair.

"Are you really not going to talk to me?" Eden finally asked about having failed to get the other woman to meet her gaze in the mirror.

Still, Matilda worked in stubborn silence.

"Can you at least look at me!" There was an edge to Eden's tone as she turned her head to look up at her.

Without a word, Matilda yanked the braid back toward her. It forced Eden to turn back around. If at all possible, her fingers worked faster than ever.

"Stand." Matilda said.

Eden listened.

Matilda lathered Eden in sweet smelling creams, rubbing it into her skin until there was nothing left on its surface. She recapped the tubs and stepped back.

For the first time, Matilda looked at her as thought admiring her work.

"It's time to bring you to Master." And with that Matilda headed out the door and Eden followed her down different hallways until she stopped in front of a door.

Eden's chest tightened just the slightest bit when Matilda knocked.

There was only one burning question needing an answer. What was Declan planning to do to Eden in this room? 

Words: 951

Don't forget to check out my other stories!

The Hilstead Experiment: 1986 - Three prisoners escape an experiment involving human subjects.

The Hilstead Experiment: Adrift - Ten strangers board a plane that crashes into the ocean, turning their promised paradise vacation into a deadly experiment of survival.

The Carriers - Tainted meat turns a small farming town into a parasitic zombie war zone only a vegetarian can handle.

In The Pines- Annabel Lee enters into the highest rated gameshow of the afterlife to win a second chance at life.

And if you're looking for writing advice check out my story Year of the Author.