2 - The Fourth Knock (7/13/18 update)

Video: Alannah Myles - Black Velvet

Hey guys! I'm pleased to announce that edits for Breaking Eden are going well. Readers wanted longer chapters so this chapter went from 1,000-ish words to over 1,300 and is packed full of new content. So give it a read and let me know down below in the comments what you honestly think. Good or bad, I'll take it if it'll help improve my story.

As always, please point out any mistakes you may find while reading. Fresh eyes see everything I miss. And don't forget to vote, comment, and share to help get Breaking Eden to #1! :0)

Chapter three update coming soon...

________________________________________________________________________________

2 - The Fourth Knock

"Why the hell did you do that?" Eden slapped Diamond's hand away from the lions head.

                "He was just fucking with us." Diamond's brow furrowed as they listened to the silence, "What do you think is gonna happen?"

                "I don't know." Eden's back stiffened. "Knock four times, and you lose that nice payday you were hoping for?"

                The sound of metal scraping against metal filled the silence. Eden nervously backed away from the door, thinking that at any moment the other foot was going to drop and neither one of them was going to like the outcome.

                Moments later the door creaked open, and a plump young girl, dressed in a freshly ironed maid's outfit, stood on the other side of the doorway.

                When she spoke, her voice was timid like she was afraid to even talk to them, "Master only likes visitors to knock three times. Never four." She met Eden's gaze for only second before casting her eyes back to her shoes. "Who was the one to knocked?"

                Eden glared at Diamond with a look of 'I told you so!' etched over her features. But Diamond only shrugged her response.

                Like a disciplined child, Diamond raised her hand in silence. "I wanted to see what would happen."

                Eden studied the girl a little closer, eyeing her features with a critical stare.

                There wasn't anything unique or rememberable about her; she was ordinary at best. Her thick blonde hair that was pinned back into a tight bun and dark lashes lined her round blue eyes.

                What surprised Eden the most was the fact that there wasn't a stitch of makeup on her skin. No foundation. No rosy blush or mascara. Not even a coat of lipstick graced her plump lips. 

                How odd, working a ball without any sort of coverage to hide her blemishes. No wonder she looks so homely. With the right shade of lipstick, she'd be pretty.  The girl caught Eden staring and she blushed.

                "Olivia dear, don't be rude. Let the ladies in." A much older man, who was rail thin and lanky, appeared almost magically at Olivia's side.

                He opened the door wider and ushered Eden and Diamond into the foyer. "Please excuse this child's deplorable behavior." He glared at the young girl, "She's new to this house and is still learning our ways."

                "It's okay." Eden's words fell on deaf ears.

                Olivia glanced up at Eden and managed a meager smile in thanks but remained silent as the older man continued to scold her. "Master will hear about your incompetence. I will make sure of it."