1- Officer Hamlin (4/20/2019 Edit)

Video: Ki: Theory - Stand By Me

(The road only it's night)

As always, feel free to RIP this book apart by pointing out how I can fix it and don't forget to tell me what you like. Don't worry, you aren't going to hurt my feelings. I eventually want to publish this book so I'd rather have it ripped apart now, when I can actually fix things, then publish it and get ripped apart on Goodreads and Amazon. You know how it is. So do the thing and I hope you enjoy my story. :0) ________________________________________________________________________________

Part One: The Ghost Girl

1

February 2017 - 11 p.m.

Officer Hamlin couldn't decide what was worse, the hunger eating away at his stomach, or the migraine pounding in his temple. His gaze wavered from the rain-soaked highway and drifted toward the sandwich sitting atop his workbag. As if on cue, his stomach grumbled. He let loose an acid-filled belch that seared his throat and brought tears to his sleep-deprived eyes.

Drumming his fingers against the steering wheel, Hamlin made up his mind.

A hot meal would have been ideal on this frigid night, but he brushed the thought aside and snagged the sandwich off his bag. He struggled to peel back the foil with one hand before taking a massive bite. A glob of mustard oozed out. It dripped down the side of his hand and spattered onto the leg of his black uniform.

"Goddammit." He swiped at it, smearing yellow deeper into the fabric and let loose another string of curses.

His head shot up from his lap just in time to spot something staggering out of the trees. The pale form headed right into the path of his speeding patrol car. Hamlin dropped the sandwich. Bread and deli meat fell into his lap as he screamed. "Son of a bitch!"

He slammed his foot against the brake and jerked the steering wheel to the left, narrowly missing the thing in the road.

Then chaos erupted.

The patrol car skidded over the asphalt, its head lights cutting through the darkness. It managed a 160 degree turn before slamming into the trees lining the opposite side of the road. The passenger side crumpled, and the windows exploded on impact.

Hamlin had just enough time to cover his head as shards of glass pelted his raised arms.

Everything was quiet. Too quiet.

Lighting illuminated the darkness. Moments later, thunder cracked overhead. The clouds opened up and released a torrent of unrelenting rage.

In the end, the only sounds were of rain against metal and Hamlin's labored breathing.