13 - The Test (Unedited)

Please note that this hasn't been edited yet. It's a raw draft. Feel free to rip it apart. Tell me what you like or hate. I want to make BE the best book it can possibly be so honest feedback is always welcome. Consider sharing this book on social media and with others who may enjoy it and help get Breaking Eden noticed by Wattpad. Thanks for reading! :0)

________________________________________________________________________________

13 – The Test

The familiar sound of metal scraping against metal was music to Eden's ears. But something seemed different, a lock was thrown back, but not the one that held the slot close. This sound echoed from above her, high up the door.

Eden sat up and immediately pressed herself against the back. Was it time for her release already?

The door cracked open, wide, wider, widest, the light beyond it blinded her. Eden held her hand out in front of her to shield her eyes.

"Good morning, Eden." The sweet sound of Matilda's voice floated down and all Eden could do was cry.

All the emotions that welled up inside her came crashing down.

"Dearie," Matilda knelt down, her knees popping with age. "don't cry."

Eden held her hands to her face in shame as she tried to stop her tears. She didn't want to cry any more than Matilda did, but she couldn't help it. For the first time in, Eden couldn't recall how many days she spent locked away in this room, it all seemed like one continuous night that refused to end.

"Come now, child." Matilda reached for Eden; took her hands gently away from her face. "Are you fit to stand?"

Eden nodded and allowed Matilda to help her from that tiny prison built for a child. When she stood her legs felt oddly weak, rubbery. Normally her head would hit the ceiling and she'd be forced to bend forward to stretch her legs. But now she was in the open, able to move freely. And the sunlight that filtered through the front window was glorious.

Matilda dragged the bucket from the tiny room and hauled it up. Then Eden remembered everything inside that bucket, all the food that went to waste.

"Now follow me." Matilda waddled towards the main staircase, the bucket swaying between her legs. "You've been granted a bath."

Eden couldn't bring herself to ask Matilda why. All she did, was grab hold of the bucket's handle and helped the older woman haul it up stairs.

"I truly hate that box." Matilda shook her head. "You're going to be in shock when you see yourself. But it isn't something a hot bath can't fix. You'll be clean again in no time."

Eden glanced down at her front, at the blood that smeared over her thighs and belly. She'd started her period and hadn't even known it.

"Don't be embarrassed, Dearie." Matilda offered Eden an understanding smile. "You should count yourself lucky. When Young Master Declan took charge of this house after his father's death, he allotted us this very bucket for modesty. Before that, we shat on the floor like wild pigs. Never once were we offered a shower. We stayed our sentence and only then were we permitted to clean ourselves of the filth our bodied created."

The pair made it to Eden's bedroom, she looked down both ends of the hall, wondering if Declan would show is face.

"He left early this morning."

"Oh."

"I was starting to wonder when you'd speak." Matilda opened the bedroom door and they hauled the heavy bucket inside. "Now go shower. Clean yourself up. I'll draw you bath so you can relax. I'll even add some of my oils to sooth your skin."