8 - The Next Morning (unedited)

Please note that this hasn't been edited yet. It's a raw draft. Feel free to rip it apart. Tell me what you like or hate. I want to make BE the best book it can possibly be so honest feedback is always welcome. Consider sharing this book on social media and with others who may enjoy it and help get Breaking Eden noticed by Wattpad. Thanks for reading! :0)

________________________________________________________________________________

8 – The Next Morning

Eden woke up alone and in her bed. The curtains were drawn back, revealing a brilliant blue sky with the sun high in the air. Its rays filtered into the room, warming the space, yet Eden lay freezing.

The windows themselves were thrown open. A light breeze trickled into the room and with it were the sound of early morning activity. Footsteps over gravel. A whistling tune she couldn't place. The mumbling of voices too far to hear.

Life continued to carry on without her as normal.

She rolled to her side and pulled the covers over her head to block out the cheerfulness she wasn't ready to face. She felt like she didn't deserve it after what she did. Embarrassment flooded through her; a groan passed her lips as she remembered pieces of the night before.

She didn't remember all of her outbursts. All that replayed in her mind was her stumbling into the bathroom, falling into that tub with something she grabbed from the counter, and ultimately failing to end her life. That was all her brain allowed her to remember.

Her failure to end it. To carry out the action Sofia told her about.

She yearned for her mind to reveal more, to stop hiding everything.

An image came into focus.

Declan above her in the tub. His eyes hurt and red rimmed. He said nothing. He did nothing but watch her fall apart.

"I couldn't do it!" The voice that ripped from her throat was strange and unfamiliar. Heat scorched her arm. There was blood pooling at a wound she didn't remember making.

In that moment all she could think of was Declan. Not her pain. Not her suffering. Just him standing above her.

Was he mad at her? Would there be yet another punishment waiting for her after he patched her up?

Her finger went to her wound. A thick white pad of gauze wrapped the length of her arm. Yet there was no pain underneath it.

What have I done? She prodded a finger at the edge of the gauze, wanting to see the aftermath.

The door suddenly opened without a knock of warning.

Eden froze, faking sleep under the darkness of the covers.

"I know your awake." Not an ounce of emotion from Declan as he spoke. "Get up."

And so, her punishment began.

He'd order her to get up. She wouldn't listen fast enough for his liking, which would only lead to more pain.

Eden lowered the blanket slowly.

He stood, staring at her, not a lick of emotion registered on his face. His eye vacant. His mouth set in a firm line of disappointment.

She pulled herself up, muscles aching for rest, but still she somehow managed to get to her feet.

Fear picked at her nerves. Was he going to yell at her? Hit her? Punish her even more than he ever had? The not knowing drove her mind into a spiral of insanity.