4 - Behind the White Curtain (4/20/2019 Edit)

Video: Numb by Linkin Park

As always, feel free to RIP this book apart by pointing out how I can fix it and don't forget to tell me what you like. Don't worry, you aren't going to hurt my feelings. I eventually want to publish this book so I'd rather have it ripped apart now, when I can actually fix things, then publish it and get ripped apart on Goodreads and Amazon. You know how it is. So do the thing. I hope you enjoy my story. :0)

________________________________________________________________________________

4

Behind the White Curtain

The nurse briefly paused at Eden Burrow's door and whispered a fair warning to the officers upon entering, "Try not to stare."

Hamlin and Jones exchanged a glance at how Eden must look. Hamlin made a mental note to not look her in the eye and took a few steadying breaths. The pair nodded their understanding and followed the nurse inside.

Eden was given a tiny, single occupant room. It was painfully small if Hamlin was honest. The grey drapes were tied back to reveal a large picturesque window that provided them all with a striking view of downtown Portland, Oregon. But the city sat dull and muted against the winter backdrop, consisting of nothing but grey clouds.

The white curtain stood out like an eyesore. It was connected to a track on the ceiling and had been pulled around the bed, making the sheet the only thing hiding Eden from the rest of the world.

Hamlin had the urge to pull back the curtain and formally introduce himself. As he reached out to grasp it, a throat cleared loudly behind him.

He turned around, dropping his hand immediately like a child caught misbehaving, and saw who he assumed to be Eden's caseworker.

The older woman, dressed in an outdated pantsuit, held a strong resemblance to one Hillary Clinton. When she looked up from the book in her hands, she raised an over plucked eyebrow, as if daring Hamlin to pull the curtain back without her permission.

To Hamlin, that eyebrow raise was code for: What the fuck are you two assholes doing here?

"Mrs. Shaman?" The nurse's voice rose to an unnatural pitch. "These are the officers I was telling you about. They're here to speak with Eden."

"Are they now?" The caseworker's tone dripped with annoyance. She promptly closed the book and slipped it into a bag resting near her feet. "Please," she paused to stand up and extend her hand in welcome. "Call me Barbra." she said, offering a forced, thin-lipped smile.

Barbra Shaman was a giant of a woman that towered over all of them. Her height and size alone put Hamlin's six-foot one frame to shame. Again, he felt like a child being scolded by a parent under her direct stare.

Hamlin was the first to take Barbra's hand. Her vise-like grip made him squirm. His balls shriveled up inside him. It was at this point, he realized Barbra Shaman wasn't to be messed with. Cross her, and she will smite you.

Before Jones could introduce herself, the caseworker cut in with an unwavering smile, "May I speak with you both outside for a moment?"

She turned on her heel and left the room without waiting for a reply. The officers quietly followed.

"Y'all go chat for a bit. I'll sit with Eden." The nurse flashed the officers a gleaming white smile and dipped behind the curtain. "How are you feeling, Eden?" she whispered. "Would you like some water?"

The gurgled response sent chills down Hamlin's back.

Upon stepping outside, the officers were swiftly confronted with Barbra's red face. "I will not allow this!" she hissed through clenched teeth. Her lips barely moving as she spoke.

"I'm sorry ma'am, but you don't have a say." Hamlin said dryly. His fingers tighten around the notebook he'd bought only moments before. There was no way he was leaving without giving it to Eden. He needed to know what had happened to her and who was responsible for her suffering.

"Eden Burrows isn't emotionally stable enough for questioning. For God's sake she can barely ask for a simple cup of water." Her critical glare bounced between the two officers, daring one of them to speak up and challenge her. "And you." She eyed Jones up and down and laughed. "You don't look a day over twelve. Is this a joke?"

Jones piped up, straightening her back to stand at her full 5'2 stature. "Ma'am, I can assure you this is not a joke. I'm 29."

Barbra was right. Carly Jones' body resembled that of a prepubescent child at best. Cashiers carded her for the cigarettes she bought at gas stations, while bartenders scrutinized her license, and even quizzed her on her birthdate to try to catch her in a lie.

Hamlin cleared his throat, bringing the attention back to him, "We're not here to question the Ghost – I mean Eden." He corrected himself. "We're here to deliver what she asked for."

"Asked for? I already told you. Eden isn't capable of speaking; she doesn't have a tongue."

The two officers paled, stunned.

Barbra's heavy sigh in response hit home to Hamlin. Jones was right. They only knew a fraction of the situation and been deliberately left out of the loop. That was going to change right now.

"Eden's in a terrible state, both mentally and physically. We'll only know the true extent of her injuries with time."

Hamlin held up the bag with the notebook inside. "There are other ways to communicate."

The caseworker took the bag and frowned at its contents, as if annoyed she hadn't thought of it herself. She narrowed her eyes, "Who told you she asked for this?"

"The nurse." Jones shifted uncomfortably next to Hamlin.

"Oh, that simpleminded woman will be the death of me." Barbra pinched the bridge of her nose, then looked back up at them. "You do know she's had nearly every finger amputated?"

"So we've been told." Hamlin nodded. "But it won't hurt to try, right?"

"I don't like this." Barbra shook her head. "I'll allow you both to stay for a short time but so help me God, if she shows any sign of distress, you're out of here. Understood? I'm not going to let this little," she flicked the bag with her fingers, "experiment of yours ruin what little progress Eden's gained over the past month."

Jones' cheeks formed dimples as she smiled. "That's perfectly reasonable, ma'am."

"How does anyone take you seriously?" Barbra slowly shook her head. "You know, you'd do well on one of those To Catch A Predator type of shows." And with that, Barbra led the way back into Eden's room.

Words: 1,218

Don't forget to check out my other stories!

The Hilstead Experiment: 1986 - Three prisoners escape an experiment involving human subjects.

The Hilstead Experiment: Adrift - Ten strangers board a plane that crashes into the ocean, turning their promised paradise vacation into a deadly experiment of survival.

The Carriers - Tainted meat turns a small farming town into a parasitic zombie war zone only a vegetarian can handle.

In The Pines- Annabel Lee enters into the highest rated gameshow of the afterlife to win a second chance at life.

And if you're looking for writing advice check out my story Year of the Author.