8 - The Peace Within Darkness (4/20/2019)

There's only a few more short ones and then they will get back to normal chapter length. P.S. I did add to this chapter.  

________________________________________________________________________________

8

The Peace Within Darkness

EDEN

Eden's gaze wavered from Hamlin's. Eventually, it drifted back toward Barbra then dropped to her gauze-covered hands in her lap. She didn't much like her case worker. Barbra was cold and stiff, much like a walking and talking corpse, and dreadfully boring.

The woman sat at the table most days reading aloud a book Eden had no interest in listening to, while Eden spent her time staring up at the ceiling in silence. Since she was no longer capable of speaking there wasn't a clear way for her to tell Barbra to shut the fuck up.

Morphine and another cocktail of pills helped. Not only did they numb the pain, but it dulled her mind and allowed her to easily slip back into the void with little fight. During which, her thoughts were muddled with her inevitable suicide. But by which means could she take her own life? That was the question plaguing her most night.

Exhaustion overcame Eden, like a wave of darkness it snuffed out what little energy she had. What she needed was sleep but she feared the moment she tried to rest he would return.

Eden didn't know officer Hamlin, but she knew she could trust him. He would make things right. And when he did, when he heard her story, he'd know the truth. Everyone would know of what happened to Eden Burrows and of all the others, the men and women who had become her family in those dark years she was gone. Their stories are just as important.

Once her tale was told, she would end her life. But only on her terms.

No more suffering.

No more memories.

Just darkness and peace at last.

Words: 416

Don't forget to check out my other stories!

The Hilstead Experiment: 1986 - Three prisoners escape an experiment involving human subjects.

The Hilstead Experiment: Adrift - Ten strangers board a plane that crashes into the ocean, turning their promised paradise vacation into a deadly experiment of survival.

The Carriers - Tainted meat turns a small farming town into a parasitic zombie war zone only a vegetarian can handle.

In The Pines- Annabel Lee enters into the highest rated gameshow of the afterlife to win a second chance at life.

And if you're looking for writing advice check out my story Year of the Author.