3 - Rules are made to be broken (not edited)

Video: Shout by Think Up Anger ft. Malia J

Just a reminder: The following chapter has not been edited yet by myself. This a first raw rough draft. Please keep that in mind while reading. The writing might not be as fleshed out as past chapters. I'm taking a break from this book but have 6 or so chapters written that I want to post for all my readers. I'll be back to this book after NANO is over. In the mean time check out By Winter's End. If you enjoyed Breaking Eden this you WILL enjoy that book as well. Trust me. : 0 ) In the mean time here is what I have written the past few week just haven't had the time or energy to do self edits.

________________________________________________________________________________

3 - Rules are made to be broken

                  The next afternoon Eden found she wanted to go downstairs to eat but didn't out of pure stubbornness. It was simple. She didn't want to give Declan the satisfaction of seeing her among the others. So, she stuck to her daily routine, only this time she added a bath before crawling back into bed to sleep the day away.   

Matilda brought up another tray containing a hot bowl of vegetable soup. She set it on the table and motioned Eden to leave the bed. Her energy levels were still low but Eden managed to walk on steady legs and took her seat.

"Thank you." Eden didn't know if she was thanking Matilda for the soup or for forcing her to end the hunger strike the night before by informing Declan of her hunger strike. Either way she was thankful that Matilda cared enough to save her.

With a clearer head, Eden had time to think. She realized how stupid it was to start a hunger strike. Of course Declan would have thought of a feeding tube. He probably thought of ways to handle any and all situations of disobedience. So her change of coming up with a way to force his hand was slim. 

Eden took her seat at the small table.  She slipped the spoon into the steaming liquid and brought a chunk of carrot and tomato in broth to her mouth. Chewing, Eden savored the taste of fresh vegetables. "Did you make this?"

"Heaven's no. I am not a skilled cook. My role if to manage the house and the other maids." Matilda went to the windows and opened each of them. "Some fresh air will do us some good."

She went about her other duties, dusting, and straitening the room.  

The last thing she tackled was the bed. Eden wouldn't allow Matilda to change the sheets, but now with her out of bed she was free to do as she wished.

Eden didn't care. But a part of her didn't mind getting clean bedding.

Matilda stripped the bed, balling the sheets up and tossing them near the bedroom door. She made sure to tuck the corners of the new ones and took pride in making the bed look pristine and untouched.

When Matilda was done, her attention went back towards Eden. She pulled up a chair, sitting opposite Eden. "Let's sit crooked and talk straight."

"I don't know what you mean."

"Have you read the contact, Love?" 

Eden nibbled on a cracker but nodded that she had indeed read that awful thing.

"Have you signed it?"

"No." Eden recovered her tray. She'd suddenly lost her appetite.  "And before you say anything more. I don't plan on signing it."

"It isn't a legally binding contract." Matilda laid a warm hand over Eden's. "Think of it more as a submittal of ones control."

Eden leaned back in her chair and groaned into her hands. "Because that is so much better."

"You may not understand just yet but you will in due time. It will help you cope with being here." There was a sense of urgency to Matilda words. "To be honest, it would show Declan growth and your willingness for change. It's a step in winning over his trust."

"Say I do sign it? Then what?"

"You'll need to officially submit your will to Declan. It should be done publicly, properly, and traditionally. Some choose to submit themselves at the auction balls. They make it a grand affair and it turns night into one of joyous celebration. Smaller houses tend to hold them privately, to make it feel more intimate. Which do you desire, Dearie? I fancy you doing something public for the attention."

"I desire none of it." The words were rapid fire off Eden's tongue. Could she go through with it? Allow Declan to hurt her, to rape her whenever he pleased?

No. I can't do that. I won't just lie there and let Declan do whatever he wants to me. Who would willingly want that for themselves? Her mood instantly darkened. But what other way do I have out of here? If the key to my escape lies in him trusting me then I have to do it. But I can't! One second she felt like she could talk herself into signing it just to gain his trust but the more logical side of her still resisted.

"Are you listening to me, Eden?" 

Eden's gaze bounced back to Matilda's. She had zoned out and hadn't a clue what she was going on about. "I'm sorry what did you say?"

"You must claim Declan as you one true Master and wait for him to approve of your submittal. He isn't a very patient man so it wouldn't take but an hour or two. After he accepts control over you. He'll have you properly assessed and trained in the duties of a slave."

There's that word again. Slave. It was bitter against her tongue.

Matilda opened the envelope and slid the packet of pages out. She held it now with great care. "I remember signing something just like this." The side of her mouth lifted up.

"You were a slave?"

"I was, at one point, one of Master's favorites but that was many years ago, Love." Matilda seemed to drift into the past. "Only Declan is a much kinder man compared to his father, so loving and gentle he is. He's truly a good boy."

Eden fought back her laughter. Is she serious? A 'good boy' wouldn't do anything he's doing.

"Master was born with his mother's kindness in his heart but inherited his father's stubbornness in life. I find that same stubborn streak within you, Eden." Matilda set the contract down. "You and Master both want to be top dog but at some point in time one of you must bend to the other's will and allow them to lead you."

"Tell me about your time here. What is going to happen to me?"

"We don't have time for stories, Love. You read this over again and sign it. Show Master your willingness to obey. Allow him you lead you in your new role here in this house and he will shower you with affection and greatness. If you don't," She lifted a hand to Eden's cheek. "I don't wish to see you suffer. Believe in yourself. You know what needs to be done to end this."

Eden flipped through the pages, landing on the last one, he most important page. A blank space near the bottom of the page caught her attention. Underneath the empty line was her name Eden Burrows.  

Matilda stood and started gathering up the tray to leave. "I almost forgot. Master will be expecting you in his chambers at 9:00pm sharp. Your results are in and he wishes to speak with you."

A rush of panic hit her. She thought she'd have more time.

"Don't be afraid tonight. Behave and listen. Do as he wishes and you will be in good hands."

"Then I better get to reading this obedience manual again, right?" 

"You do that dear." Matilda said before she left the room.