6 - Remember The Past (4/20/2019 Edit)

If you read the other A/N you'll know why this chapter is so short. Hope you enjoy it! P.S. added new content to this chapter. Nearly doubled it actually.  

________________________________________________________________________________

6

Remember the Past

EDEN BURROWS

Eden closed her eyes. A frown settled over her brow, her lips pulled back into a scowl.

Behind her eyelids came darkness. Within that obscurity was the same freezing rain and shadows dancing around her quivering body.

Her pulse quickened. She glanced above her, dreading the burn of rain against her frostbitten cheeks.

Towering trees surrounded her. They seemed frighteningly real. Too real as they closed in, suffocating her. Killing her. She couldn't get a steady breath. Her lungs burned with every gasp.

A throaty groan slipped past her lips in bed.

Eden pressed on in the memory, going further into the trees. Something was different about this world, but she couldn't quite place it.

The need to remember that night drove her forward.

Rainfall echoed all around her and for a slim moment she believed she could feel the drops pelting her skin. Then came the rush of open air and hardened earth beneath her feet. There was no forgiveness with this ground unlike the thick underbrush. The soles of her feet dragged over the asphalted, feeling nothing more than blocks of frozen flesh.

Blinding light barreled towards her.

For mere seconds, Eden stood frozen, unable to move as chaos erupted around her. The pungent smell of burning rubber permeated the air as a car skidded past her. It crashed into the trees, morphing into a pile of broken glass and twisted smoking metal.

This isn't right. Another moan passed Eden's lips. She shook her head. It's not the same. This isn't how it happened. There wasn't smoke.

In the memory, Eden observed the smoking car for what seemed to be an eternity before she dared to approach the wreck. She sprinted from the tree line, heading toward the carnage.

The headlights flickered on. Another difference. Its light illuminated the darkness, made her glow against the black backdrop of the trees. She took a step and the light followed.

I only need to see his face. I'll recall him, my savior, and remember everything.

She pulled against the door, prying it open with unfrozen fingers that now bent at her will. It was then that she realized her feet were no longer blocks of ice. They supported her weight with ease and moved freely yanked on the door, fighting to pull it open. Warm to the touch and unaffected by the cold, she wanted so badly for this moment to be real but knew this memory wasn't true.

The drivers side door creaked open. If it were possible the inside of the car was darker, filled with millions of twinkling stars.

The dark place. The void she'd grown so accustom to beckoned her to come forward, to not see what was inside the car. But she needed to see his face.

Show me his face. The overhead light flickered on. It bathed the occupant in a celestial glow that radiated out into the night.

Eden shielded her eyes and squinted to make sense of the man sitting inside. When the image of the man's face cleared, she took a hesitant step back.

It wasn't her savior sitting in the front seat. It was him. The man who owned her. The one she fought so hard to escape.

Their pain. Their misery. Their suffering. Their deaths. Your hands are drenched with their blood. His words were hypnotizing, his gaze unnerving.

She back away. You're not real. None of this is real!

Look at your hands and see.

The palms of Eden's hands split open. Blood pooled, dripping between her fingers.

End this and all will be forgiven. Your death for theirs. Do it now.

Eden gave off a low gurgled cry from the hospital bed and struggled to open her eyes. But there was no escaping this memory.

You're dead. She fisted her hands. I'm the last of them. The manor is gone. YOU are gone!

His laugh echoed into the night. Stupid girl. We live inside of you. We consume your thoughts, your memories. When you sleep, you will dream of me. When you wake, you will think of nothing but me.

The man pulled himself from the mangled wreck. His broken legs governed his weight as he staggered towards her with jerking speed. You can't run from fate. I will find you. He reached a broken hand out towards her. I will always find you.

Words: 857

Don't forget to check out my other stories!

The Hilstead Experiment: 1986 - Three prisoners escape an experiment involving human subjects.

The Hilstead Experiment: Adrift - Ten strangers board a plane that crashes into the ocean, turning their promised paradise vacation into a deadly experiment of survival.

The Carriers - Tainted meat turns a small farming town into a parasitic zombie war zone only a vegetarian can handle.

In The Pines- Annabel Lee enters into the highest rated gameshow of the afterlife to win a second chance at life.

And if you're looking for writing advice check out my story Year of the Author.