3 - Back In The Closet (Unedited)

The following chapter is shorter. I hope to have another chapter up tomorrow to make up for it. Please note that this hasn't been edited yet. It's a raw draft. Feel free to rip it apart. Tell me what you like or hate. I want to make BE the best book it can possibly be so honest feedback is always welcome. Thanks for reading! :0)

________________________________________________________________________________

3 – Back in the closet

****Present time****

It was the jarring sound of metal scraping against metal that woke Eden from her nightmare filled state of rest. Or was it unrest? Eden couldn't distinguish which word was the best fit. But what she did know was this, sleep didn't come easy in this insufferable closet. The air was hot and sticky.

Pain coursed through Eden's hip, traveling up her wounded back, as she rolled to her side to sit up. She attempted to stretch her arms high above her head only to be confined by the walls around her, as well as above her.

They seemed to have somehow crept inward, the walls, creating a heavy feeling of suffocation.

A tiny door was lifted like a crude makeshift mail slot near the bottom of the door. Golden light flooded the area, causing Eden to forget about her pain and rush forward.

Eden pressed her cheek to the ground and tried like mad to get a glimpse of whoever was on the other side. "Hello? Who's there?"

No one answered. But there was quick movement.

A metal tray, which was long, narrow, and thin, was shoved forward, its edge almost hitting Eden square in the face.

Ignoring the tray, Eden pressed for the person to speak, to say anything to make this room less lonely.

"Please say something."

Her only response was that of the little door closing. Then once again metal was grinding against metal as whatever lock slid back into place, cutting off her light and locking her away.

"Come back." Eden pleaded with the stranger. "Please come back. Don't leave me in here!"

Her hands rained down against the wood like before, only this time her attempts were weak willed and meaningless simply because deep down Eden knew whoever was on the other side did care. They didn't care to speak to her or offer her an ounce of mercy. That's what hurt the most. To them, she wasn't ever worth a hello.

Her hand nudged the metal tray, surprising her at first. It was as though she had already forgotten the reason that tiny door had opened in the first place. She pulled her hand back out of fear of what was on it that tray.

With shaking hands, her fingers outlined the tray. It was simple, flat, and cold, nothing special or important. She slid her fingers onto it, tried to picture in her mind what her fingers felt. Something smooth and hard took up the majority of the tray and imagined it as a plate. And on that plate was something square and soft. Bread maybe? Perhaps a sandwich.

Eden brought the square thing toward her nose, sniffing it, thinking she could identify it by its smell. But it was faint, the smell, nothing special and nothing she could easily place.

She contemplated taking a bite but remembered how easily it was to drug an unsuspecting person. Even more so when they were trapped in the dark and sleep deprived.

Every nerve in her body seemed on high alert, as though it knew not to trust the food. She dropped the sandwich, or whatever it was, back on the tray pushed the whole thing aside. Then another thought entered her mind, one that not only grossed her out but made her hate Declan even more than she already did, if that were even possible.

The bucket.

It sat alone in the corner of the tiny room, unused and unwanted. It would serve as her toilet for the next 21 days, or was it now 20 days? The concept of time was wasted on her. It was of little to no importance now.

It didn't matter what time it was out there, in the real world, it was always nighttime in here.

Eden pushed the tray further away until the edge hit the flap of the tiny door. She'd refuse to shit in a bucket like some kind of heathen who lacked proper toilet training. It seemed like the choice was made for her. Season two of the hunger strike had officially commenced.

She settled back against the back wall and pulled her knees up to her chest, trying to forget Declan's mention of a feeding tube in the medical ward. She leaned her head against her arms which rested over her knees.

Sometime later, Eden drifted back to sleep, where Keelan waited for her return. 

Eden tumbled backward ass over head through an ink colored sky filled with burning white stars, whose bright light stunned her. Then everything stopped. She was floated now, stopping just above the thrashing waves of the void.

Take me as I am. Eden cried out. Offer me your sanctuary, your protection from myself. I beg of you!

No matter how far Eden stretched, reached out her hand nothing took hold. They knew how hard she attempted to grab hold of their smoky, black claws within those thrashing waves, yet did nothing in return. Instead, she stayed frozen, perhaps trapped in limbo, between reality and what lurked within her mind.

Remember. Face the past or be doomed to repeat it!

The void spoke as one coherent being which was both strong and pure. Both frightening and comforting.

Face Him. They added. Only now their voiced splintered, shattering into millions of voices repeating that same line over and over until it morphed into the chaotic noise of thrashing waves.

Eden was flung backward through the night sky, as though pulled by a tether, crashing back through the burning stars surrounding her and away from the safety of the void.

Her screams were useless against the stars. She hurdled towards one now, into a life she wish so badly she could forget.    

Words: 1,131

Don't forget to check out my other stories!

The Hilstead Experiment: 1986 - Three prisoners escape an experiment involving human subjects.

The Hilstead Experiment: Adrift - Ten strangers board a plane that crashes into the ocean, turning their promised paradise vacation into a deadly experiment of survival.

The Carriers - Tainted meat turns a small farming town into a parasitic zombie war zone only a vegetarian can handle.

In The Pines- Annabel Lee enters into the highest rated gameshow of the afterlife to win a second chance at life.

And if you're looking for writing advice check out my story Year of the Author.