10 - We Got Ourselves a Winner (not edited)

As promised, I'm officially back to continue on with Breaking Eden! Please note that this hasn't been edited yet. Feel free to rip it apart. Tell me what you like or hate. I want to make BE the best book it can possibly be so honest feedback is always welcome. Thanks for reading! :0)   

________________________________________________________________________________

10 – We Got Ourselves a Winner

Ben paused outside Declan's bedroom door and glanced at Eden. He held her hand in his, not firmly or with force, but gently and with affection, as though his next few words were true.

"Do you trust me?" He intertwined their fingers and offered her a kind smile.

"If I'm being honest, I don't know. I want to though, trust you that is. But-"

"You can't." He finished her thought.

Eden's cheeks turned pink with embarrassment and she nodded.

"One day you will. I would never willingly want to harm you." The corners of Ben's mouth turned up. "But until that day comes, I will continue to prove myself worthy of your trust."

"Thank you." Eden's grip tightened around Ben's hand, trying to convey that she did indeed mean every word she said.

She would love nothing more than to trust Ben, or anyone in this new house of horrors. Trusting the others would make Eden's life less lonely and boring. It would bring her the company she so desired to have while locked away in her room.

"Everything will be as it should in due time" Ben said.

Yet, there was a voice within Eden's mind, warning her relentlessly to trust no one. She was safer alone. The others were working against her, trying to win her will over, trying to trick her into excepting her new situation, excepting them and this house. This was something Eden would never allow.

They only want to cause you pain. The voice spoke within Eden's mind, urging her to hold strong. They wish to add to your misery, your torment. They'll fill your head with lies of trust and love but only cause you pain. They'll trick you into wanting Declan and all of them. Then you'll become one of his mindless Stepford slaves, doomed to serve is every wish.

"Eden," Ben returned that same pressure around her hand, "Are you ready?"

She glanced back down the hallway from which they came, wondering if she could make another attempt at finding another way out.

"Thinking about making a run for it?" Ben asked almost jokingly. "I'll release my fox if that's what you wish to do."

Eden's eyes filled with bitter sadness, "Where would I go?"

"Search the mansion grounds a little more and get better acquainted with the land." Ben sighed, knowing it would be a waste of time. "Perhaps you should find Jude, maybe?"

"She's the one who sent me to you." Eden's gazed shifted toward Declsan's door. "Every ending will lead back to this spot, back to Declan and to whatever he has instore for me. He'll always win won't he?"

Ben spoke quietly now, as though offering Eden a small pep talk, "Listen to Master speak, obey his commands, and act without hesitation. Demonstrate your need for his guidance and control. Allow this to happen and you'll win Master's favor."

"And if I don't? Then what?"

"Then he'll be forced to punish you. It's as easy as that." A hushed laugh escaped him.