4 - A Fight Between Enemies (unedited)

Start from the beginning

"Why aren't I ever enough?" She whimpered, oblivious to the fact that Declan stood not even a yard away from her, his hand resting on the doorknob. Her grip tightened on the edge of the counter, her knuckled turning white as another sob welled up inside her throat.

She leaned her forehead against its cool surface, praying for this suffocating pit of despair to end. "Why you hate me? I gave into you. I didn't fight. I did everything I could, and it still wasn't enough." Her knees buckled and she crumpled to the floor in a heap. Her shoulders bent forward, hair covering her face. "I don't understand. Why?"

Declan knelt on the bathroom floor a foot or so away from her feet. His tone softened, "I don't hate you, Eden. I never hated you."

"Then what is it? What am I doing now that's so wrong?" She sucked in a shaky breath and ran the backs of her hands over her wet cheeks. Another sob hitched in her throat, almost choking her. "I don't understand anything anymore. I didn't fight. I listened. I don't know what you want." She finally met his eyes, her voice cracking. "What do you want from me? What do you want!"

"You."

If it were possible, Eden managed to sob and laugh at the same time. "You're not making any sense. I consented. I was practically begging you. How clearer can I be?"

"Let me help you." He reached out, aiming for her arm or shoulder, but she swatted him away.

She scooted back on her hands until she the back of her head hit the clawfoot bathtub. "Just leave me alone." She drew her legs up to her chest, clamped her arms around them, and buried her face. "I want to be alone."

"It's kind of hard when you're sitting on my bathroom floor."

"Then I'll leave." Eden moved to haul herself to her feet.

"Sit. Down." The sharp edge to his voice returned. It made her freeze.

She lowered herself back to the floor but refused to look at him.

"Good choice." He leaned back against the cabinets of the bathroom sink. "We'll remain here until you're calm enough to listen to what I have to say."

The pair feel into a lapse of silence. She could feel Declan's eyes on her, but she couldn't bring herself to look at him. It wasn't from stubbornness, but embarrassment and shame. She felt childish now that she'd calm down. In the heat of the moment his rejection pushed her to her breaking point.

"I tried." Eden grumbled.

"No one said you didn't."

Another bout of stubborn silence.

She stole a quick glance at him. His knees were drawn up, his arms resting on his knees. His gaze lock with her. "You tricked me."

"How so?"

"Made me believe-" She shook her head with a sigh. "Never mind. It's not even worth it."

"What did I make you believe? Tell me."

Another glare shot over to him. "You know exactly what you did."

"Elaborate. I haven't a clue what you're talking about. How have I tricked you?"

"You made me believe that you cared." She cleared her throat and struggled to hold another wave of tears.

"I do care for you." He said. "I know the notion of me liking you is hard to grasp given our circumstances, but I do. It pains be that you think otherwise."

Eden couldn't help but laugh.

"Why are you laughing?"

"You locked me in a fucking closet for a month." Her eyes shot to his. "How is that anywhere near caring."