・to the person battling insecurities | grace・

I cannot do this. I'm not good at this. I'm not enough. I'll never fit in. I'm gonna fail.

Voices. We all might've heard them, felt them. We might have heard them in our head whispering that we're not enough, that we're not gonna make it. Insecurities are something we all would have gone through at one point of time in our life.

In my childhood, I was shy and reserved. I used to speak only when spoken to and keep my conversation to a minimum. At first, my parents assumed that I was timid and would break out of my shell. But as I grew older, I went deeper into my shell. I wouldn't talk to anyone except a friend who I deeply trusted. No, it wasn't that I was just shy. I was afraid of making mistakes that would make the crowd dislike me, I was afraid of being humiliated. As I grew up, the insecurities grew up with me. I started asking myself questions. Questions whether I would fit in at school, whether I would find true friends, whether I would score good grades, whether I would make my parents proud, whether I would be accepted for who I really was, whether this, whether that... the list of questions were endless. My mind was bombarded by what-ifs and my confidence in my abilities proved to be non-existent.

But here's the thing. I realised that I was the creator of my insecurities. I fed them, I let them grow. I let the voices, my own voices take control of me

Insecurities are born when we are worried about the unknown and unfamiliarity of a situation. Not knowing the result not only leads to feelings of insecurity but may even plant a fear of failure. We then become paralyzed and doubtful about what others may think of us. 

You not only have a voice inside your own head telling you that you aren't good enough, but there are also people around you will use your own unfamiliarity, your own insecurity against you. Instead of there being a crowd around you to cheer you on, there could be one there waiting for you to make a mistake. Instead of second chances, society chants that this is your only chance. The people around you, along with the voices in your head say you're going to fail, that you're unworthy of what you possess. But your worth isn't found in what people think of you or how they treat you. Your worth is found in God.

I still battle insecurity. I ask myself if I'm a good daughter, a good sister, a good friend. I ask myself if I'm a good writer, whether people will accept what I deliver to them. I still battle fears of losing my friends by thinking I'm not good enough for them. But I also know that I define my worth, the not people around me.

To the person battling insecurity,

You are loved. Did you hear me?

Your identity is in God alone. Not in your failures, your mistakes,or your shortcomings.

You are worth more than rubies. Don't let that inner voice, your inner voice define you. You are not what other people say you are. 

YOU ARE WORTH IT.

~ Grace