How To Change - Saturday ~ Nicole

Recently, my sister accused me of being hypocritical and judgmental. Unfortunately her words hurt me because they were TRUE. She said that because I went on my phone during church, which I always judge her for and ask her not to do.

We can't really change people by being overly harsh and critical to them. When someone is really rude to me, my first instinct isn't "oh, they must have a good point and I should take their advice." My first response is to feel like I'm a victim and immediately NOT listen to what they are saying because they've caused me pain. Even in the Bible, Galatians 5 tells us to "gently restore" our brothers and sisters who are sinning and have gotten on the wrong path. Not harshly criticize them or yell at them, but to be kind in correcting them.

As well, while we are judging others, we should judge ourselves as well. We can't just look at other people's faults while not noticing that we have the same faults. I mean, are you going to take health advice from someone who is sick all the time? Or are you going to listen to someone lecture you about math if they themselves are terrible at math? No!

Let's change ourselves first before we try to change those around us. Changing ourselves and improving ourselves will let other people see the positive effects and the results that we've had, and make them more willing to listen to us—of course, as long as we aren't insulting them while we do it.