How To Handle Rejection ~ Nicole

First of all, never take it personally.

Think of rejection in terms of a job interview. If someone doesn't want to be friends with you or date you, it doesn't mean that you're an absolutely awful person who will be forever alone. It just means you aren't the right person for the job. For example, if I have a degree in linguistics and I try to apply for an accounting job, then I obviously won't get the job. Does this mean I'm stupid or a failure? No! It just means that I'm not right. I don't have the skills for the job and I have different skills for a different job.

Same with being friends with someone or dating someone. Maybe you just aren't the right person for them. Maybe this person is really outgoing and you prefer to stay in and watch TV. Maybe you're really loud and they don't like to talk a lot. Maybe you care a lot about the environment and they couldn't care less. These things aren't based on value judgments; they're just about incompatibility. 

Second of all, try to think of things you are good at instead of seeing how this is a bad thing. A lot of the time, rejection means some space is opening in your life for you to focus on what IS right for you. Instead of thinking about how this friend rejected you or a guy dumped you, think about how you have room in your life now to do other things and pursue other interests. You can now make new friends, meet new people, and do new things.

Rejection isn't just an ending. It's also a new beginning.