It's Okay Not To Be Okay - Annie

You matter. 

Your mental health matters.

I know it isn't easy to accept help sometimes. If you're not okay, take a deep breath. You will be okay. You'll get through whatever you're going through.

For me, it took months for me to realize that I needed to ask for help. It took two months of me feeling mentally unstable, with constant crying. When I finally broke down and had a panic attack at school, my friend told me I needed help. I knew she was right, but I was scared. She told me one other thing.

"Don't bottle up your emotions. It's not healthy." She was completely right when she said that. If you bottle up your feelings, things will only get worse for you. Things will get harder and harder, unless you do something about it. Your health will only get worse, and I don't want that for you.

I talked to my mom, even though I was terrified, and she helped me find a therapist. For me, talking to someone helped. It was nice to hear from a different perspective. It may not help everyone. Psychotherapy is not a permanent cure. Only you can fix yourself. No one can do it for you.

Acceptance.

It's okay to realize you're not perfect. No one is. But talking to someone, such as a counselor and therapist can help.

Other things that you can do are talk to your friends. Ask them why they love hanging out with you or ask them to write positive things about you on a sticky note and you can put it up in your bedroom or in a special place. These positive thoughts can make you feel better if you accept them as the truth, because they are. You are amazing, but you don't realize it. 

Say goodbye to the negatives.

Negative thoughts enter our minds every day. 

I'm going to fail this test! I'm not pretty enough. I'm not smart enough. My parents are disappointed by me. My sister and brother are better than me. My friends hate me. My teachers think I'm dumb.

These thoughts aren't true. Think of it like a test. You can either pass or fail. You can either ignore these thoughts or give in to them. The right thing to do is to ignore them. It's not worth listening to the voice in your head who makes you feel bad about yourself. You should feel good about yourself, and be encouraging yourself.

You can block out that voice by blasting your favorite song, or watching your favorite tv show. Do whatever makes you happy.

If you still feel sad, there are other things you can do. Journaling and writing down your thoughts can help you process it. You could also write down all your worries right now on a slip of paper, and then rip it up. You can let go of the negative thoughts and worries you have.

All you can do is try. Nothing will ever go away easily. But I believe in you. You can win the fight, and be happier. Everyone deserves to be happy.

To sum up everything I said, if you don't feel happy, you deserve to be. If you've tried everything you can, then maybe it's time to get help from a professional. You might be uncomfortable with that, but that's why online counseling exists. I hope that you realize that you're loved, that you matter. Because I might not know you, but I love you.

-Annie ❤️