Helping suicidal loved ones collab with @HelpingHandsClub

If you believe a friend or family member to be in immediate danger, call your local emergency number (911 in the United States) and try to get to the person immediately. However, if a friend or family member is suicidal but not in immediate danger, follow the advice below.

It can be hard knowing that a loved one is struggling with suicidal thoughts. You may feel confused, upset and concerned for their safety. And understandably, you'll want to help. Here are some things you may find helpful.

1. Listen to your friend / family member.

Life can be difficult and busy, so you may not always have a lot of time, but when you do, take the time to listen to them. Sometimes just knowing that someone is there for you and will listen to what you have to say, can lift a person's spirits greatly. You don't have to offer advice or anything, just be there for them.

2. Make sure they're taking care of themselves.

If you live with a suicidal person, be sure to talk to them and ask if they've eaten and taken their medications. If you don't live with the person in question, and cannot see them as often, it's not a bad idea to message them, just to see how they're doing.

3. Don't be afraid to talk about it.

If you think that a person you know may have suicidal thoughts, you should ask them about it. You can tell them you're concerned about them, ask how they're doing or bring up the subject in some other way. You shouldn't be worried about them being mad at you or getting more suicidal thoughts from you bringing it up. They'll appreciate your concern no matter how they feel.

4. Make sure they get professional help.

Suicidal thoughts are a serious thing, and most of the time they won't go away on their own. Unless the person is already in therapy / uses antidepressants, you should talk to them about those. Depression should not be fought against alone.

5. Show your support

The most important thing to do when talking with someone who is severely depressed is to show your support and back them up. What they need is someone who is going to be empathetic. You want to avoid being judgmental to them or dismissive of what your friend is sharing with you.

6. Show your openness and validation

When dealing with this it's important to be sympathetic and not to judge them on what they are feeling. You must try to be patient, calm, and accepting towards them.

7. Give them time

Unfortunately, this will not be solved over a matter of days. The most important thing to do is give the person time to heal and show your support to them. Give them your ears and your full support but don't push them for information. When they are ready they will talk.

8. Follow up

It's important to follow up with the person who is facing suicide. Every now and then it's important to ask them how they are doing. If they show signs of feeling hopeless or feeling unbearable pain you are going to need to seek medical attention depending on the signs shown in the person. Reaching out to them in the days and weeks after a crisis can make a meaningful difference and even help save their life.

9. Help them connect

It's important for them to be able to talk to people facing similar problems or family, friends, doctors, or a therapist who they can also reach out for help. It's important for them to be able to connect with people whether it's someone they know personally or someone specializes in the field it's good for them to be able to connect with people.

10. Be observant:

It takes a lot for a person to say "I feel like dying" or "I don't want to live anymore". There is always a solid valid reason either in physical or abstract form. So far we talked about abstract ones but now let's face the physical reasons. "Are they afraid to go to school or work?" Figure out who is bothering them. It can be a bully or assaulted. If you can identify the trigger and nip that evil from the lives of your loved ones. It can prove to be a greater help.

11. Be Patient:

The recovery process is hard and long but is always worthed. They might end up repeating the same thing or sometimes not actually listen to Pearls of wisdom you cast in front of them. For heaven's sake don't lash on them. Stay patient. The moment you do that it all goes down the drain because the said person will start to feel bad again.

12. Remind them they are not alone:

When you're dealing with suicidal thoughts or depression it can be easy to think that you're alone. But remind them that they are never alone in this. And that other people do go through this difficult time in life as well. This helps them remember they're not the only ones out in the world dealing with this right now. And they are other people who are dealing with similar experiences.

13. Recognize the warning signs:

Learn the warning signs and keep a look out for them. It's good for us to be able to recognize warning signs when it comes to someone who may be suicidal. Like sleeping too much or isolating themselves in their rooms. Even an increase use in drugs or alcohol can be warning signs of someone with suicidal thoughts.

The first four solutions were written by Melledonna

from the HelpingHandsClub

And answers 5-13 were written by the SGC admins

LizzieNoele

Fel1city97

And the SGC co-owner, BrezzyBear98

We loved doing this collab with you
HelpingHandsClub

Thanks for reaching out!

Stay strong, everyone.

~ Lizzie, Romi, Brianna and SGC