Chapter 12 - How?

I sat on my couch for almost the last hour, trying to figure out a one word question. How?

How were we going to stop them?

"Hey Maydah.. Where's Azalea?" Dad said entering.

"With her mom,"

"You found her?"

"Yup."

"What's on your mind?" Dad sat down, sensing something wrong.

"It's impossible! We'll never be able to stop them, whatever we do, they'll backfire." I gave up.

"Who the authorities?"

"Yeah,"

"We have to be smart Maydah," Dad sighed.

"I know dad, but they have they're playing a very tricky game and the boards are set so that only they'll win." I denoted.

"Then we have to make them win." Dad concluded.

"Then how do we win?" 

"A win- win situation, we win, they win." Dad judged.

"Ok, so like an agreement right?"

"Yeah, like an agreement," Dad nodded.

"So what agreement? What would they listen to anyways?"

"That's the tricky bit," Dad bit his lip.

"Maybe we could threaten to spread their little secret if they don't return all the kids to their parents,"  I assumed.

"That would work, but like you said, they have the boards turned so only they can win," Dad thought aloud, "So it's not just that simple,"

"What could they do?"

"Get rid of us, quick and easy,"

"How?" I asked.

Dad raised his finger and ran it sideways, across his throat.

"They wouldn't!" I gasped.

"Planned crime Maydah, it exists,"

"Ok." I grabbed control of myself. "So what if, one of us goes to the authorities, and tells them that a bunch of people already know about this, but we aren't going to name any, and if they don't let all the kids go, their secret will become unravelled."

"That's brilliant," Dad whispered, " They can't harm one because if they do, the rest will take action. You are brilliant Maydah!"

"I know," I grinned. "So who's going to be the one who goes back to the authorities?" I said suddenly getting serious.

Dad looked away, into the distance.

"Maydah, I'm no coward, but if anything happens to me, if they do anything, you'll be an orphan and under their custody, and I won't let that happen." He told me.

"I know dad," I said softly. We both sat in silence, we knew we couldn't send Azalea back there, and we couldn't send her mom either, we both had a single parent and if anything happened to one of them, Azalea or I could end up an orphan.

"That Laura Bunsen lady!" Dad exclaimed.

"What about her?"

"She can tell the authorities that she got an anonymous message saying we know their secret and unless they let the kids go, we won't be the only ones that are in on this." Dad sparked.

"Wow dad, genious seems to run in the family.. Azalea has Laura's number, all we have to do is give her a call."

"Then what are we waiting for?"

"Got it?" I told Azalea, it was nearly midnight and I had just finished telling Azalea our plan.

"Ok," Azalea nodded picking up the phone, she dialled the number and all three of us took a deep breath.

"Hello?" The voice came out of the reciever, but it wasn't a lady's voice, it was deep, rough and masculine.

"Hi, may I speak to Laura Bunsen please," Azalea said, trying to sound unlike herself.

"Laura Bunsen is dead."