Chapter 33 - A Way Out.

After the fourteen hour flight, we finally got off the aeroplane, past the customs and passport control, and out into the open, warm city of Beirut. The sky was bubble gum blue and the sun was shining it's warm rays down onto the earth.

 Dad called a taxi and with only two pieces of baggage, we quickly got into the air conditioned car.

"Where to?" The driver asked, his accent heavily arab.

"The hotel please," Dad replied, he had booked us a five star hotel for our temprorary stay. 

We owned a house by the beach that my dad shared with his seven brothers and four sisters, and my mom's brother also owned a house, but dad thought it would be best to be isolated from everything, just for a while. After a week of complete relaxation, Dad had planned to go to meet the whole family.

I wasn't sure if I was looking forward to seeing every one after so long. Ever since my mom passed away, we've never set on foot on the lebanese soil, which means I would be seeing them after at least ten years. I took a deep breath clearing everything out of my mind and looked out of the window absorbing in the narrow, old fashioned streets and the tall apartment buildings, the little kids climbing up the tall date palm trees to get a bunch of the dried brown fruit to satisfy their sweet mouths.

The car turned into a driveway and Dad and I got out with out luggage. I observed the hotel in awe. It was at least 15 stories high, built with 'face brick', the most expensive type, and painted a light cream colour, offering it a smooth and high quality appearance. The doors were huge and dark brown in color presenting an excelent contrast with the hotel walls. The door knobs were a shiny gold colour, which the elegant doorman turned to let us in.

As we entered the hotel, a blow of cool wind pleasantly caressed our already hot faces. Dad went straight to the reception to check us in while I followed slowly, trying not to miss a single sight of what was there. The ceiling where high and smooth, unlike the popcorn ceilings back home. There were huge chandeliers hanging down emphasizing the simple but elegant carvings around the edge of the ceiling. The floor was tiled a creamish brown colour and the reception desks were made of marble and deep brown.

"Enjoy your stay," The receptionist smiled.

The bellboy helped us with our luggage as we got into the lift, neither of us spoke.  Dad inserted the card into the door, Room 217.

Dad helped the bellboy with the bags while I checked out our room. It was huge! There were two of the most comfortable bed I have ever seen and a mini fridge with all the chocolate goodness you could think of and windows allowing the afternoon sun to streak in.

"What do you think?" Dad asked looking around himself.

"Amazing!" I said.

"This is the exact same hotel we stayed in when we came ten years ago.. With your mom." Dad said. "Of course I didnt expect it to change so much," He quickly addded.

"How was it when you first came here?" I inquired, wondering what my mom would think of it now.

"Well, back than it was just a simple motel," Dad said.

"It couldn't have been!" I said in disbelief.

"Trust me," Dad grinned.

I looked out of the window at the people walking in the streets below, stopping casually at the tiny shops to buy almost anything, from eggs and milk to jewellery and clothes. I wasn't a big fan of shopping but the thought of being out on the street, with the warm air and nice things to look at while hearing the buzzing chatter overwhelmed me. I was about to ask dad if we could go out but his cell phone rang.

"Hello?" Dad said.

"Of course," He said again after a pause. He handed the phone to me, I looked at him questioningly.

"Azalea," He mouthed.

"Hey Azalea," I was about to start telling her everything about lebanon but her urgent voice cut me short.

"Where's Zeke?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"He's not in school."

"What about at home?"

"Maydah, he left the country."

                             ____________________________________________

Hey guys, so there's this short story compition, for details check out MuslimsUnite, I was thinking about entering it so wish me luck!!!