Why It's Ok to Seek Help

Stigma: a mark of disgrace associated with a particular circumstance, quality, or person

Stigmas are all around us when it comes to mental health.  Throughout time, we have been taught that we need to always be happy, put on a positive front for the world to see, and keep our issues to ourselves, which isn't true at all!

Why It's Ok To Seek Help
- You are the most important person in your life and you need to keep yourself healthy! If you had the flu, you would go to see your doctor, so if you have a mental illness, why wouldn't you see a doctor for that?
- There are people out there to help. Licensed therapists, psychologists, and psychiatrists are only one phone call away.
- You are not the only one going through what you're going through. Although not everyone has the exact same experiences, you shouldn't feel like you're going through this rough time by yourself.
- Talking it out can help.  Getting the weight of a horrible event or feeling off your chest can make a big difference in the end and there are confidential ways to get this weight off of you.

Why Certain Stigmas Are Wrong
Stigma #1- You're weak for asking for help.
Why it's wrong-  Getting help makes you strong.  While this sounds cliche, it's true!  You are admitting that you're going through something rough and things may not be the best right now, and you're also proving how optimistic you are by seeing that this will allow things to get better.

Stigma #2- It's just a phase.
Why it's wrong- Mental illness is not a phase, it's a disease.  If you are suffering, then you deserve to get the help you need to alleviate the pain because nobody deserves to go through that.

Stigma #3- You should just tough it out and deal with it.
Why this is wrong- This is a horrible solution! As previously stated, if you are going through a rough time then you deserve to get the help that you need so that you aren't in pain anymore.

Where Can I Seek Help?
Sᴜɪᴄɪᴅᴇ ʜᴏᴛʟɪɴᴇ: 1-800-273-8255
Rᴀɪɴɴ ʜᴏᴛʟɪɴᴇ: 1-800.656.HOPE (4673)
Cʀɪsɪs ᴛᴇxᴛʟɪɴᴇ: 741741
Tᴀʟᴋsᴘᴀᴄᴇ.ᴄᴏᴍ
Bᴇᴛᴛᴇʀʜᴇʟᴘ.ᴄᴏᴍ
7ᴄᴜᴘs.ᴄᴏᴍ
Bʀᴇᴀᴋᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ.ᴄᴏᴍ

And feel free to PM our account should you ever need anything!