Black Willow

Salix nigra, the black willow, is a species of willow native to eastern North America, from New Brunswick and southern Ontario west to Minnesota, and south to northern Florida and Texas

Black willow wands are renowned for their natural ability to ward off evil spirits as well as to prevent possession. Their owners are cheerful and full of energy–opposite of the weeping willow wand itself. They like to approach problems head on, and do not have patience for long processes or projects. However, when wronged, they will bite back. They are capable of being extremely vicious and vindictive. At their best, these witches and wizards are decisive and have excellent foresight. They can be stubborn and resilient in the face of change or forces working against them. As much as they are capable of great vengeance, they are also capable of great kindness. They are loyal to their friends, and often act on their behalf (with or without their permission). There is often talent with archery and playing the harp.

There is talent at magic to do with aphrodisiacs, long range curses, prevention, and inertia. There is also talent with mind based magics and many of these owners excel with occlumency. Weeping willow wands are strong against magic produced by manticore stinger wands, and do not bond well with manticore stingers as cores. However, weeping willow does pair nicely with manticore mane hair. Best subjects include: defense against the dark arts, charms, potions, and herbology. There is a distinct lack of talent when it comes to divination.

Midnight and navy blue ripples are emitted from this wand during spellwork. These ripples smell of rainwater and aloe. Black willow wands are more powerful when it is raining, but are also weaker in full sun. Soak this wand in a pint of tears (expensive but often available at the local apothecary) when it is more erratic or hyper. If the owner uses their own saved up tears, this wand's strength will be increased exponentially for a period up to a year. The tears will calm the wand down and return it to its normal strength and consistency. Nothing can be done to prevent this from happening and no pattern has been observed for this behavior. Weeping willow naturally pairs with grim hair as well as manticore mane hair (as said earlier).