Hazel

The hazel is a genus of deciduous trees and large shrubs native to the temperate Northern Hemisphere

The hazel is a genus of deciduous trees and large shrubs native to the temperate Northern Hemisphere. The genus is usually placed in the birch family Betulaceae, though some botanists split the hazels into a separate family Corylaceae. The fruit of the hazel is the hazelnut.

A sensitive wand, hazel often reflects its owner's emotional state and works best for a master who understands and can manage their own feelings. Others should be very careful handling a hazel wand if its owner has recently lost their temper, or suffered a serious disappointment because the wand will absorb such energy and discharge it unpredictably. The positive aspect of a hazel wand more than makes up for such minor discomforts, however, for it is capable of outstanding magic in the hands of the skillful, and is so devoted to its owner that it often 'wilts' (which is to say, it expels all its magic and refuses to perform, often necessitating the extraction of the core and its insertion into another casing, if the wand is still required) at the end of its master's life (if the core is unicorn hair, however, there is no hope; the wand will almost certainly have 'died'). Hazel wands also have the unique ability to detect water underground and will emit silvery, tear-shaped puffs of smoke if passing over concealed springs and wells.

Hazel is among the most sensitive and sentient of wand woods. It is noted by wandmakers, such as Ollivander, that they absorb their owner's emotions. This absorption causes this wand's magic to be erratic, as the effects fluctuate with various emotions. Thus, this wand has a reputation for being unpredictable, especially in the hands of someone who tries to repress their feelings. The ideal owner understands their emotions and can compartmentalize them as needed. Not that they repress the, but they know when to put them aside for later. They never deny feeling an emotion and are honest with themselves.

In the hands of such witches and wizards, this wand is capable of outstanding magical feats (Pottermore). Eloquent and wise are other common traits of hazel wand owners. Many are comfortable in positions of authority, particularly when the position is knowledge-based. Their creativity and rhetorical capabilities can inspire others to take action in their own way. Poetry is a common interest and hobby. As Ollivander says, hazel wands wilt at the end of their owner's life, refusing to perform magic any longer. Hazel is truly devoted to its owner, as is the owner to their loved ones. It is talented in magic to do with emotions, prophecy, consciousness and guiding. Hazel wands fair well in all subjects. They excel in potions and divination. Olive and silvery tear drop-shaped smoke is emitted from this wand during spellwork. And, as Ollivander says, this wand will let out puffs of silvery tear-shaped smoke when it detects concealed springs and wells (Pottermore). Tie red and gold thread around this wand for good luck.