Black Ironwood

Olea capensis, also known by the common name black ironwood, is an African tree species belonging to the Olive family

Olea capensis, also known by the common name black ironwood, is an African tree species belonging to the Olive family. It is widespread in Sub-Saharan Africa from the east in Somalia, Ethiopia, and Sudan, south to the tip of South Africa, and west to Cameroon, Sierra Leone, and the Islands of the Gulf of Guinea, as well as Madagascar and Comoros. It occurs in the bush, littoral scrub, and evergreen forest.

An exotic import from Africa, this wood is full of natural warmth. Ironwood wands are oddly fluid in their magic and are one of the few wands which intrinsically can control dangerous fire magics such as Fiendfyre. As the name, an alternate name suggests Black Ironwood makes wands well skilled with Artificing and magical metalworking. Black Ironwood wands generally choose those of distinct moral vision, and who are clear in their like and dislike of things. Black Ironwood wands sink in water, which in itself is rather remarkable. The 'iron' in the name of this African wood indicates power and strength, but this could not be more wrong. The weight of the wand makes spellcasting difficult, particularly in lengthy wands, thus it is rarely used in wandmaking (even in Africa). These wands are nearly useless underwater.