Basswood

Tilia americana is a species of tree in the family Malvaceae, native to eastern North America, from southeast Manitoba east to New Brunswick, southwest to northeast Oklahoma, southeast to South Carolina, and west along the Niobrara River to Cherry...

Tilia americana is a species of tree in the family Malvaceae, native to eastern North America, from southeast Manitoba east to New Brunswick, southwest to northeast Oklahoma, southeast to South Carolina, and west along the Niobrara River to Cherry County, Nebraska. Common names include American basswood and American linden. The tree was introduced to the UK in 1752 but has never prospered there, being prone to dieback.

Basswood can refer to two species in the Tilia genus: American Basswood (T. americana) and Carolina Basswood (T. caroliniana). Both kinds of wood are very similar so Basswood will be used to refer to both. Outside North America, these woods may be referred to as American Lime or Linden. This soft, lightweight wood, is noted for its workability, and Basswood wands are often richly carved. Like most members of Tilia, Basswood wands excel at protective magics. Bearers of Basswood wands are often seen as fair or just, if somewhat legal-minded.