Birch

Birch is a thin-leaved deciduous hardwood tree of the genus Betula, in the family Betulaceae, which also includes alders, hazels, and hornbeams

Birch is a thin-leaved deciduous hardwood tree of the genus Betula, in the family Betulaceae, which also includes alders, hazels, and hornbeams. It is closely related to the beech-oak family Fagaceae. The genus Betula contains 30 to 60 known taxa of which 11 are on the IUCN 2011 Red List of Threatened Species. They are a typically rather short-lived pioneer species widespread in the Northern Hemisphere, particularly in northern areas of temperate climates and in boreal climates.

The Birch wand is used in many cleansing rituals. The Birch Tree is a symbol of rebirth, renewal, and diligence. Some use Birch wood to aid in the calming of emotions. The bark of the Birch tree helps to heal wounds and burns. Many European communities use or have used, birch twigs to expel evil spirits. Although it has a reputation for weakness, in actuality birch is one of the finest Light wand woods in existence. It is associated with both driving out evil spirits (and thus will produce a strong Patronus) and with healing magic.

Birch connects northern regions– from Alaska to Japan, to Russia, to Poland, to Scandinavian countries, and beyond. From the tree, people retrieve bark to weave baskets and other creations. Likewise, their owners love to do anything creative. Owners of birch are protective and stable, tolerant, and brave. They have a balanced personality and know when to pick their battles. More likely to initiate conversations or conflict, they have no problems with confrontation or being assertive.

Birch wand holders care a lot about their relationships, sometimes to their disadvantage. However, when they decide to break a relationship, it will not be mended easily. Having a sweet tooth is common among birch wand owners. Birch wands are near-impossible to burn, and are good at spells that repel or extinguish the fire. This also makes the birch wand a poor performer for fire-based magic, despite its air-element qualities. Silver and white smoke trail out of this wand during spellwork.

A quirk of many birch wands is that they have an opinion when it comes to music (which varies according to the wand). There have been instances when the owner finds their radio, instrument, or other music-maker mysteriously shattered to pieces (or in front of their faces).