Sweetgum

American sweetgum, also known as American storax, hazel pine, bilsted, redgum, satin-walnut, star-leaved gum, alligatorwood, or simply sweetgum, is a deciduous tree in the genus Liquidambar native to warm temperate areas of eastern North America a...

American sweetgum, also known as American storax, hazel pine, bilsted, redgum, satin-walnut, star-leaved gum, alligatorwood, or simply sweetgum, is a deciduous tree in the genus Liquidambar native to warm temperate areas of eastern North America and tropical montane regions of Mexico and Central America. Sweet gum is one of the main valuable forest trees in the southeastern United States and is a popular ornamental tree in temperate climates. It is recognizable by the combination of its five-pointed star-shaped leaves and its hard, spiked fruits. It is currently classified in the plant family Altingiaceae, but was formerly considered a member of the Hamamelidaceae.

A charming wand, with a tendency to find those whom others may find irritating - those who can never stay still or who may not quite be able to entirely accurately read social situations, or who are simply oblivious to social cues, or even may not care - this varies considerably depending on the wand core. Despite this, in the right hands, this wand is a most wonderful helpmate, with considerable skill in Charms, most particularly healing spells.

Prized on the eastern coast of North America, Sweetgum tends to choose people with sweet dispositions and is said to encourage their owner, giving them strength and making their nerves more steely. It is highly valued for this quality and is known to help with anxiety. Those recently chosen by a sweetgum wand may notice that their body becomes more fluid in movement, and increased reflexes. The owners of sweetgum wear their hearts on their sleeves. Though they seem weak, they know the strength of being themselves. They have no filter and can be innocently blunt when asked for their honest opinion.

Hardships only make these people kinder and will help build their confidence. A talent for communicating and attracting magical insects is normal with this wand wood. Moths are recommended as familiars. The core will be the major factor in the elemental focus of the overall wand and the specific magics that it will excel at. However, most wands made of this wood excel in the care of magical creatures, potions, and flying.

.Cream, cocoa, and mint green swirls are emitted by this wand during spellwork. Its magic smells of caramel, toasted marshmallows, and whip cream. When it comes to cores, it bonds well with swooping evil venom and cores from other insects or insect-like creatures. This wand wood can emit a sticky-sweet sap to attract magical insects. Magical moths and butterflies gather nutrients from the wand while also giving the wand powder from their wings, providing the wand with nourishment of sorts as well.