Virginia Pine

Pinus virginiana, the Virginia pine, scrub pine, and Jersey pine, is a medium-sized tree, often found on poorer soils from Long Island in southern New York south through the Appalachian Mountains to western Tennessee and Alabama

Pinus virginiana, the Virginia pine, scrub pine, and Jersey pine, is a medium-sized tree, often found on poorer soils from Long Island in southern New York south through the Appalachian Mountains to western Tennessee and Alabama. The usual size range for this pine is 9–18 m but can grow larger under optimum conditions. The trunk can be as large as 0.5 m in diameter. This tree prefers well-drained loam or clay, but will also grow on very poor, sandy soil, where it remains small and stunted. The typical life span is 65 to 90 years.

Virginia Pine wands are often found in the hands of those who are curiously unlucky. Not in any particularly persistent way, but more unusual, in that the bad luck will come in some unusual and unexpected way. Those with Virginia Pine wands are often somewhat resigned, though they can still be persistent and similarly the magic they cast can depend on their mood. If they are resigned to what will happen it will be a weak spell, and so when casting with a Virginia Pine wand one must sincerely and persistently want the spell to work.