Camphor Tree

The camphor tree is a dense broadleaved evergreen that is capable of growing 50-150 ft (15

The camphor tree is a dense broadleaved evergreen that is capable of growing 50-150 ft (15.2-45.7 m) tall and spreading twice that wide with a trunk up to 15 ft (4.6 m) in diameter, though the largest U.S. specimens are only half that size and those in the Caribbean are even smaller. The shiny foliage is made up of alternate 1-4 in (2.5-10.2 cm) oval leaves dangling from long petioles. Each leaf has three distinct yellowish veins. The outer margins of the leaves tend to be somewhat wavy and turn upward. The new foliage starts a rusty burgundy color, but the leaves soon turn dark green on the upper sides and paler green underneath.

Camphor laurel contains volatile chemical compounds in all plant parts, and the wood and leaves are steam distilled for the essential oils. Camphor laurel has six different chemical variants called chemotypes, which are camphor, linalool, 1,8-cineole, nerolidol, safrole, and borneol. In China, field workers avoid mixing chemotypes when harvesting by their odor. The cineole fraction of camphor laurel is used in China to manufacture fake "Eucalyptus oil". C. camphora is native to Jeju off the coast of Korea, Taiwan, southern Japan, southeast China, and Indochina, where it is also cultivated for camphor and timber production. The production and shipment of camphor, in a solid, waxy form, was a major industry in Taiwan before and during the Japanese colonial era (1895–1945). It was used medicinally and was also an important ingredient in the production of smokeless gunpowder and celluloid.

One of the most explosive wand woods available, camphor wands are highly prized in Japan, Korea, and China and in Florida and Alabama, where it is considered a Class I invasive species. Their owners often have fierce tempers and strong wills. They love adrenaline highs and are willing to try anything once. They are not too stubborn about their beliefs and are willing to compromise if given proper material or intellectual incentives. Many owners are stocky and solid-bodied. They have an energetic appearance and put their all into their current pursuit. They may have trouble finishing products if they become bored or think of a more interesting pursuit. A bit abrasive, it can be hard for them to make friends. Despite their gruff appearance, they do have a talent for attracting and calming magical creatures.