Pond Cypress

Taxodium ascendens, also known as pond cypress, is a deciduous conifer of the genus Taxodium, native to North America

Taxodium ascendens, also known as pond cypress, is a deciduous conifer of the genus Taxodium, native to North America. Many botanists treat it as a variety of bald cypress, Taxodium distichum rather than as a distinct species, but it differs in ecology, occurring mainly in still blackwater rivers, ponds, and swamps without silt-rich flood deposits. It predominates in cypress dome habitats. This species is native to the southeast United States, from southeastern Virginia to southeastern Louisiana and south into Florida except for the Florida Keys.

Pond Cypress is heavily popular in the Southern United States, from Virginia to Louisiana and south into Florida. As Ollivander describes, those with cypress wands possess great nobility and heroic character. They are also self-sacrificing and put the needs of others ahead of their own. This can end in the cypress owner becoming exhausted or ill, as they may stretch themselves too thin for the sake of others. They need to learn that it's okay for them to use some time for their benefit and that it's not selfish (one of the worst insults, in their eyes).

When depressed, they may feel that is their fate to suffer if it spares others' suffering. To me, this is reminiscent of the idea in Greek myth that the greatest heroes must suffer more so than ordinary man– and overcome. Another hallmark of the greatest Greek heroes was to enter Hades and return, something mortals, shouldn't be able to do.

Not blind to others or their faults; however, they may be harder on themselves in general. They possess an overwhelming empathy for all living things and are intuitive about the feelings of others. They make great counselors and often seek out those who need their help or protection most on instinct. They often become mentors for the next generation. Not afraid of death, they often feel a connection with the dead (ghosts or other beings). It's not unusual for a cypress owner to have a few phantoms as friends.